Do I need planning permission?

Alas, for side extensions (extensions that make the house appear wider) there's a width limit of half of the original house.
Is it the bit to the side that has to be less than half the width or the whole extension? Just thinking because neighbours across the road have built to the side and all the way across the back and it got approved. we can't build much to the side as we only have about 4ft there until the boundary line. I thought it was just the distance from the back of the house that was an issue!

Alternatively, if we knock the shed down and had it rebuilt as part of the extension that is 3 metres long, will that get passed PP? (although we might have to lose the downstairs loo). And is getting permission really that much of a hassle?

Someone suggested to me going just straight across the back, but I don't like the useable space we get from that.

Sponsored Links
The thing that seems to screw you here is that your extension will join the shed to the house so the whole thing would then have to be buildable under pd as if the shed did not exist and was being created anew. Alas, for side extensions (extensions that make the house appear wider) there's a width limit of half of the original house. Slim your extension down so it+shed width is at most half house width and I don't see a problem.. Then you'll have the delights of the neighbour consultation scheme to contend with
The Neighbour Consultation Scheme only applies to rear extensions not side extensions.

Is it the bit to the side that has to be less than half the width or the whole extension? Just thinking because neighbours across the road have built to the side and all the way across the back and it got approved. we can't build much to the side as we only have about 4ft there until the boundary line. I thought it was just the distance from the back of the house that was an issue!

Alternatively, if we knock the shed down and had it rebuilt as part of the extension that is 3 metres long, will that get passed PP? (although we might have to lose the downstairs loo). And is getting permission really that much of a hassle?

Someone suggested to me going just straight across the back, but I don't like the usable space we get from that.
Have a read through this fella: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/100806_PDforhouseholders_TechnicalGuidance.pdf Class A from page 7 onwards is relevant to extensions.

It’s the whole extension including the shed that must be less than half the width of the house.

I guess if money is really tight (and I understand it often is) then try and incorporate the shed but it’s not gonna cost much more to get rid of it and rebuild it rather than faffing about upgrading it.

Alternatively as you say just apply for PP. Actually getting planning permission is actually pretty simple sometimes. There is a set sequence of events that if followed it’s not too arduous, despite popular belief. If you can do some scale drawings yourself you can DIY the whole lot. The only other costs being the application fee and the location pan so all in for less than £200.

If you employ an agent your costs will shoot up to say £500-700 including the LA fee for such a project: planning only.

It’s hard for us to say for sure if your plans would get approval, nobody can say for sure though I can’t see you having a problem. Though only an actual application can determine the actual outcome.

Sometimes fresh eyes and/or someone actually trained to design can bring about a layout that maybe you never even thought of or considered.

Just to add to the above; if you decide to go down the planning-permission route, don't be fooled into paying for a pre-application advisory meeting with the local planning officer - these things are a complete waste of time and money.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the tips/info. I shall have to have a thorough read of everything. and do more measurements and more sketches and more thinking...

It just occurred to me, that it doesn't (I think) extend beyond the side of the house, because the front bedroom goes over the tunnel, so technically the shed is within the current width of the house. Although it does still go beyond the 3m allowance.

right... option 2.

demolish shed and build something within permitted development.

Would we need some sort of planning permission or neighbour agreement to demolish the brick shed being it's left-hand wall is on the boundary line and (I think) next door is responsible for the fence on that side? (we've got the right fence.)

Although I'm still weighing up whether this would even be worthwhile doing as I'm not sure what we'd gain by losing the shed and starting again!

I think I might actually need an architect!

You see what I want is a kitchen that's about 50% bigger than the current kitchen diner, so it becomes a family room as well. And a downstairs loo, utility room and larder, but I don't really want to lose any garden, or at least make it feel like we're not losing garden!) Or maybe I need a tardis!

You're going round in circles a bit. You could post a roughly to scale accurate plan of your ground floor and garden and someone may throw some suggestions at you. :!:

I think I might actually need an architect!

Why?

An architect probably won't know any better than yourself how the extension should be. Some run away with ideas which can be expensive, or fall foul of local planning policy. And they will probably charge you the earth.

Get help from a local technician with experience of domestic extensions.

Why? probably lack of confidence in my own abilities!

I suspect I'm thinking far too much about this as usual!

I would think twice before closing off access to your garden with your new extension.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back