Do I need planning Permission or Building Regs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View media item 57361
Evening All,

Need some help please.

Not sure if we require Planning permission for our side/rear extension?

Please see the image attached (red lines are where we will be extending our current kitchen/diner to).

Our rear extension is of 8foot (2.4m) which I believe is fine to extend with just building regs but our side extension, does this need planning permission or should it be fine with just building regs as well?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Assuming the rear of the property is at the right of the image, you wouldn't need p.p.
erratum;
on second thoughts you would as the side extension will be projecting >3m beyond a rear wall (assuming that yellowish-bit on the left has a litte wall facing rearwards).

Thanks for the reply.

It is the rear of the property but the extension for the alley will be 7m long and 1.3m wide.

According to a builder length can only be upto 3m or I would need PP for more than 3m. Is this incorrect then or is it different in every borough?

Thanks for the reply.

It is the read of the property but the extension will be 7m long and 1.3m wide.

According to a builder length can only be upto 3m or I would need PP for more than 3m. Is this incorrect then or is it different in every borough?

Yes ,just realized that afer I posted. Ridiculous but that's the strict interpretation of the rules.

Sponsored Links
Sorry is that yes he is incorrect or yes I will need PP?

Sorry should of been more clear - the extension length for the redundant alley is 7m long and the 2nd extension of the rear end of the kitchen is only 2.8m long.

Sorry is that yes he is incorrect or yes I will need PP?

Sorry should of been more clear - the extension length for the redundant alley is 7m long and the 2nd extension of the rear end of the kitchen is only 2.8m long.

Your builder is correct. The side extension will be extending rearwards more than 3m beyond the short wall of the reception. As that little wall faces the back, the council will call that the rear wall. As you are extending 7m, the extension there would not be p.d.

View media item 57363
Please see attached.

Left Side of drawing is the front of the property
Right side is the rear of the property
Right side is the rear redundant alley (currently labeled).

The red solid lines indicate where the extensions will take place.

Hope this makes things a little clearer.

Yes DOHdesign, ahem sorry, tony1851 is correct in his last post.

Good to hear a builder with his finger on the pulse too, this little anomaly catches many out.

The rear extension, assuming it met with the various other permitted development restrictions could indeed fall under your permitted development (so not need planning permission).

The side extension to fill in, as already mentioned would not meet permitted development rules as in this situation the rules for rear AND side extensions apply.

HOWEVER, it is potentially possible to design the side extension so that it does not connect to the rear of the property - and thus only the PD rules for side extensions would apply.

You would lose a bit of space that may be used within one of the rooms, but you gain a potential design feature for the house which can also serve as a functional way to get a little more light into the middle of the building.

I've done this before in order to help sidestep the need for planning permission.

HOWEVER, it is potentially possible to design the side extension so that it does not connect to the rear of the property - and thus only the PD rules for side extensions would apply.

No. If the side extension extends rearwards >5m beyond the little bit of wall that sticks out, it will still need pp.

Not if there's a 100mm gap between the rear reception room and the extension. Then it would just be classed as a side extension

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back