Do I need pointing or flashing, or something else ? :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I wonder if anyone can help.
I have a 1950's house with an east facing upstairs window. The window has a uPVC double glazed unit in it which was obviously put in after the house was built (I reckon it is at least 10 years old). On the outside, above the window there is a 'ledge' - I guess like the window sill at the bottom of the window, but its at the top. I guess its there for decorative / marginal rain shelter purposes. It looks like its made of red brick/slates - its probably 2cm deep and overhangs the window by no more than 10cm, and is angled slightly downwards.

Anyway, when it rains (not even particularly hard) against this side of the house, rain comes in down the inside edge of the uPVC unit and splashes all over the inside window sill :( - basically rain water is coming in the house :( and I suspect its from this dodgy 'ledge' arrangement !

Its been happening for quite some time (and I've been too lazy to do anything about it !), and now the plaster is kind of buggered as well, so I suspect I need a small plaster skim to tidy up the inside; however what I really could do with knowing is what I should be asking a builder to fix re: the outside / what should I be expecting him to tell me he needs to do?

Am I right in thinking its my pointing? or should I get some lead flashing over the top of the ledge? or something else?

Thanks in advance;

JD

Sponsored Links
Get up there pronto with a gun full of exterior sealant as wimbledon is around the corner this should prevent water ingress at least.
As willroy states a pic would be good although I do know what you mean I have seen the style you describe.
Either way there should be no gaps around the frame!

Pete

Yes, pictures would be a good idea:

My gut feel is the problem is with the upper ledge in that the rain water collects there and somehow seeps into the house - does this sound feasible?
Some exterior sealant was suggested by Fluffster. Now you've seen the pics does this sound sensible / something I could do myself :) - or would such a sealant be a temporary bodge type measure?

Cheers

JD

Sponsored Links
Looks like a simple sealant job to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back