Do I need this wall vent for a boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1930s built semi that has these small wall vents, with a brick with holes on the outside and a plastic sliding cover on the inside. They are an absolute pain, especially the one on an upstairs bedroom. Because of the direction it faces, there is usually a draught as well as noise from an adjacent playing field. Could I fill this in with no safety issues with the heating appliances.
There is a Baxi combi boiler in a cupboard in the bedroom. Its exhaust flue goes about 2 meters horizontally through to the outside wall, and there is an inlet flue going from the top of the boiler casing vertically through the attic and protrudes through the roof slates. There are a few 2 inch holes in the bottom of the cupboard.
The only upstairs fireplace has long been bricked up. The only other heating appliance is a gas fire downstairs.

Sponsored Links
When did you last have your boiler and gas fire serviced and checked for safety?

Tony

It's a 105E and I had it serviced and checked by a gas engineer about 6 months ago. I wasn't actually in the house, he told my wife everything was OK and gave me a receipt but told her that the part of the ducting was overkill and wasn't really needed. not sure which one he meant though. Anyway back to the wall vent.......

Sponsored Links
Maybe/maybe not. They could be there for other reasons. Without more detail it is not safe to say. Get the gas guy out again and ask him specifically. If they are required then they shouldn't have closeable vents on them either.

Jon

The vents may be there for the gas fire!

Needs clarifying.

Tony

The vents were built with the house in the 1030s and at that time there would have been no central heating or gas fire. I'm guessing that they are something to do with the coal fires at the time, up and downstairs.

Now there are only two gas heating appliances in the house, a gas fire downstairs and the boiler in the bedroom cupboard described above. I am only looking at filling in the vent in this bedroom. My question is " is it needed for the boiler given that it has its own inlet flue from above the roof". I'm not bothered about condensation issues, I'll just open a window when necessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back