Do I need to drain my system...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
to change a radiator?

I have a combi boiler and can adjust the pressure without problems and presumed I would need to drain before I change a radiator, but I would need to lift the floorboards to find the valve and I was wondering if this could be avoided.

Thanks for any help, Dave

Sponsored Links
dave73 said:
to change a radiator?

I have a combi boiler and can adjust the pressure without problems and presumed I would need to drain before I change a radiator, but I would need to lift the floorboards to find the valve and I was wondering if this could be avoided.

Thanks for any help, Dave

Must be murder turning the heating down, turn off valves each side of rad, crack nuts & drain rad, remove, refit new, not as simple as that but that`s the general idea.

if the new rad is exactley the same width as the old one, then this is not a difficult job. Make sure you calculate the height correctly for the brackets to match pipes. If diif size rad then call experienced person to make neat job.

an answer to ur question m8 is yes u need to drain it down .. remember to open the vents on all the rads to completely drain it ..

good luck .

Sponsored Links
2face said:
an answer to ur question m8 is yes u need to drain it down .. remember to open the vents on all the rads to completely drain it ..

good luck .

No you don`t close down valves on either side of radiator, thereby stopping flow or return from pipework. Empty radiator with a little dish or whatever & remove. refit new rad, attach exisisting valves then open and bleed rad. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back