do i need to plaster this

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've taken some pictures of part of a wall in my kitchen, seems to be peeling off or crumbling i'm not too sure what to make of it..my question is what is the best way to fix this - plastering perhaps?

its only a very small area of a bit kitchen wall the rest are ok..but just a small area seems to have this issue have a look at these images and let me know your thoughts

thanks

Sponsored Links
Have you got a leak? Looks like water damage to me.

Directly behind this wall is a bath though and it only seems to be 1/3 of teh wall which is like that where the bath starts and finish so not sure if its related?

dont have any water leak though

but picture 2 is on the other side of a kitchen and there is no water stuff nearby!

thanks

looks like thistle bonding undercoat and condensation or damp has caused this, bonding in the kitchen and bathroom dont fare to well unless protected once exposed to moisture it will suck it all up "remedy" take the lot off replace with render and also check for a damp problem "thats if im right and it is bonding"

Sponsored Links
The white powdery stuff is efflorescence (salts) and is most commonly caused by moisture within the substrate drying out. Excessive amounts can cause the plaster to crumble, which is seemingly what has happened in your case.
As the other guys have suggested, this seems to point to some sort of moisture issue. Whether it be a leak, damp or whatever that is causing it, you will need to address it at source, otherwise, as I'm sure the others will agree, any plaster repair will only be cosmetic and the problem is likely to re-occur.
You say there is a bath on the other side of the wall, so there is a possibility that even the slightest leak (through pipes, sealant, waste) could be working it's way to this point and causing the problem. You need to thoroughly check for signs, but, if can't find anything, it could be a damp issue which is common around the lower parts of walls.

Not that it makes a great deal of difference in your case, but what I can determine from those pics is not either a hard or soft form of efflorescence, but a degradation of a paint system caused by the ingress of moisture.

Dec

Not that it makes a great deal of difference in your case, but what I can determine from those pics is not either a hard or soft form of efflorescence, but a degradation of a paint system caused by the ingress of moisture.

Dec

Well, if you can't see efflorescence in those pictures then you'd better give up the decorating. ;)

Boyth, boyth, boyth! Play nicely in the plastering forum. :mrgreen:

Thanks people
So solution moving forward - source the leak fix it

and with regards to the wall..would a plastering job sort this out?????

Yes but the trouble is you have to buy big bags. You need an undercoat plaster and skim coat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back