Do I need to strip the wood COMPLETELY bare?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The woodwork in my hallway was decorated with varnish/stain in some places and oil-based gloss in others.

I have sanded the whole lot so I can see the grain (or not in the case of MDF) in preparation to prime and undercoat and finish with a water-based satinwood.

Is it imperative to remove ALL traces of the previous finish? I'm finding it very difficult on the mouldings and corners.

I've included photos so you can judge whether I need to keep at it or I can start with the primer/undercoat. I figure it'll probably need at least 2-3 coats of the primer/undercoat.

View media item 28184
View media item 28185

Sponsored Links
In all honesty I'd go on to the painting now , it's rubbed down enough. You'd only need to do more preperation if you were going to stain.
I come in contact with a lot of woodwork that over the years has been painted with little more than a passing glance of sandpaper and has lost all detail in the mouldings so your efforts in preperation is to be commended.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back