Help preparing wood for painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

The handrail and skirting alongside my staircase was stained (or varnished, I really don't know) but we want it painted.

I am planning to finish it using Dulux Trade Diamond Satinwood.

To prepare the surfaces I've started sanding off the existing finish to get back to the wood.

The handrail seems like normal wood but the skirting has a slightly furry feel after sanding which I suspect is MDF (I have no expertise which is why I am here).

Can I prepare both surfaces using Dulux Trade Quick-Drying Wood Primer Undercoat or should I purchase an MDF primer/undercoat?

I am trying to steer clear of solvent based paint as I have a baby in the house and know the solvent smell lingers for sometime.

Cheers for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Mdf is only smooth on the surface, once you sand back a bit you will get the fuzziness you describe. Would probably have been easier to just buy new per-primed skirting and paint before fixing, but as you have already started then the dulux primer will be ok. Might need a second layer of topcoat though, after a very light sand.

Mdf is only smooth on the surface, once you sand back a bit you will get the fuzziness you describe. Would probably have been easier to just buy new per-primed skirting and paint before fixing, but as you have already started then the dulux primer will be ok. Might need a second layer of topcoat though, after a very light sand.
Cheers!

I would of preferred to fit new skirting but it's along the staircase and it looks as if the skirting was fitted before the stairs. I guess it could just be a very snug fit but either way I'd need a joiner if I wanted to replace whereas I can sand and paint myself.

I am removing the quadrant on top though but now need to find somewhere that sells lengths of quadrant in at least 300cm lengths - B&Q only had 90cm sections.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back