Do I need to worry about cracks in the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at a house purchase for a detached house built in the 1970s. The place needs some modernisation, e.g. new kitchen and bathroom but that's fine. What I did notice is that there are cracks in the wall on the first floor and I know this sort of thing will be picked up on a survey but I wanted to get some feedback from the forum as to whether this is something to worry about.

I have attached some pics. The cracks start just under the windowsill and run down to the skirting board, one goes vertically and the other is more jagged.

On the exterior of the same wall we can see fine cracks that radiate out from the window frame both under and above the frame. These were too thin to photograph effectively with my cameraphone so nothing to post. The cracks were not in an identical position to the ones that we saw on the interior.

We also saw similar fine cracks on the rear of the property.

Any feedback or comments gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
have updated the image album so pics are visible as a friend told me that he couldn't see the pictures I had uploaded. Hopefully these are now fully visible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back