Really worried about this crack.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi recently notice this crack in the airing cupboard of my 1960s house, it looks like it's been there for a long time but I haven't notice before. The crack is from top of the ceiling to the door frame.
View attachment 156407

And there's a hairline crack on the other side of the wall.
View attachment 156409
I only notice the hairline crack that I had a look at the top half of the airing cupboard.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
orbea, good evening.

As this is your first post in her, and if no one else does welcome.

OK is this area of cupboard and hall on an upper floor?

if on the upper floor??? are there any cracks on the ground floor walls directly below?

What are the walls made of? are they Plasterboard or block or brickwork?

The crack has it appears been filled historically.

Ken

Hi Ken, yes this is on the upper floor and there are no other sign of cracks on the wall below. I think the crack in the airing cupboard looks like is the original plaster from the 60s. Thanks

Looks like that crack had been there since the 50's.

Airing cupboard, heat, moisture, shrinkage.

Sponsored Links
Is the hairline crack on the other side in pic2 to do the the crack in the airing cupboard, and door frame just above the hairline crack there's a small gap about 1mm.

More worrying, perhaps, would be if that rough edge of the board above the door frame in the first image is an AIB (asbestos ) board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back