Do I need Trickle Vents?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Two questions if I may.

1) I am about to order some Windows for my house the question is do I need any Trickle Vents?

2) The house im buying is old its 1950's it already has a few unsightly air bricks installed in the walls with big old vents another question is why does it need these?

Can I have one without the other?

Surely having a nice A rated windows then putting big holes in it surely is going to decrease there performance in the Winter? and make them more noisey?

Cheers
Paul

Sponsored Links
Apparently they wouldn't pass an A,B or C rating with vents fitted so they test them without lol.

Vents are only needed if:
Its a new build
The windows you are replacing have them
In a room with a boiler/gas appliance that docent already have a vent

Ventilation prevents damp and condensation which leads to mold.
Many new builds seal up the home then add heat exchange ventilation in the loft with vents to ceiling of each room , this is to keep heating costs down, which is fine till it malfunctions.

Sponsored Links
you don't need vents if you prefer a stuffy home that is damp and suffers condensation.

Your choice.

Adding them later will be more difficult and expensive.

When Gazman says "needed" he means "required by law" which is not the same thing.

you don't need vents if you prefer a stuffy home that is damp and suffers condensation.

Your choice.

Adding them later will be more difficult and expensive.

When Gazman says "needed" he means "required by law" which is not the same thing.

There not required by law....

What JohnD is saying is just because they are not lawfully required does not mean that you will not need them after the fitment of new windows. Often when old windows are replaced with new DG fellas condensation can occur, because the old crappy windows were themselves a means of ventilation.

House I purchased had new windows on the front a few months before I got it with no vents. Wish they had them installed as it keeps the rooms ventilated with fresh air

Just use the night vent setting on the new windows

Many new builds seal up the home then add heat exchange ventilation in the loft with vents to ceiling of each room , this is to keep heating costs down, which is fine till it malfunctions.

We have replaced our old "standard" british windows with small top and outward opening windows with continental style tilt and turn and inward opening windows with triple glazing. The tilting function is so much superior over any ventilation we tried to achieve before. Even with lots of open windows in the past we had spots of mold, now all cleared up.

There have been studies about ventilation - mainly in continental europe - on the cost effectiveness and ventilation usefulness of trickle ventilation.
They found that it is not very efficient in terms air changes if you only have tiny trickle vents, but it allows the walls to cool more than opening a window wide or tilting it for a short period. Trickle vents did cost more in heating bills than opening the window for short periods.

Trickle vents do NOT prevent mold!!
This is an imbalance between humidity and wall / air temperature and ventilation.

This was one of the things the independent damp surveyor picked up on with our house. Said we could benefit from having them. Ours is a 1930s build which suffers from damp in the living room.

Is there much difference, aside from safety, between having non trickle vent windows on the night lock/safety lock (whatever you call it) and having a trickle vented window?

Safety isnt an issue but security is slightly compromised when on a night vent, The increased opening would give a gap to get a crow bar in.
It would not be a quite break in though.

There are many other options for ventilation that in mp opinion are much better than chopping a big hole in your expensive new windows.
Have a read here if you have condensation problems

http://www.double-glazing-forum.com/topics.aspx?ID=34

We have replaced our old "standard" british windows with small top and outward opening windows with continental style tilt and turn and inward opening windows with triple glazing. The tilting function is so much superior over any ventilation we tried to achieve before. Even with lots of open windows in the past we had spots of mold, now all cleared up.

There have been studies about ventilation - mainly in continental europe - on the cost effectiveness and ventilation usefulness of trickle ventilation.
They found that it is not very efficient in terms air changes if you only have tiny trickle vents, but it allows the walls to cool more than opening a window wide or tilting it for a short period. Trickle vents did cost more in heating bills than opening the window for short periods.

Trickle vents do NOT prevent mold!!
This is an imbalance between humidity and wall / air temperature and ventilation.
Not sure what your point is.?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back