Do I really need a new boiler, megaflow and hot water tank?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I am having a new shower installed which requires a high pressure water supply. We have 3 bathrooms (2 baths & 1 shower) and currently have a potterton netaheat profile boiler with a standard size hot water tank (which doesnt completely fill the 2 baths together). My builder has suggested I have a megaflow system installed and says his nephew could do the job for £8,000 which would include new boiler, double the standard size cylinder tank and megaflow system. He would also move the cylinder (currently located in the hall airing cupboard) to the loft. Is it necessary to have a new boiler and cylinder - I wondered if I could get a pump for about £500 and have that installed instead? The cost my builder proposed staggered me, but I know very little about plumbing and heating.

Sponsored Links
Price does seem at bit strong ;)
You could.. increase the size of your cold water storage and cylinder and pump the supply to the shower or to your whole house... Probably two to three grand depending on pumps used, size of cylinder, difficulty of job etc.
Did he say why you needed a new boiler?

The builder looked at my boiler and just said he would put a new one in, but I am not having any problems with it at all. It is about 19 years old though (but regularly serviced under a 3* maintenance cover).

Sponsored Links
Not technical but just to add something on the Potterton...same one as I have..18 years old...still works fine and parts readily available....why spend £2000 to replace it and take 10 years to get your money back in less gas usage...by which time..the "modern new" boiler will be due for replacement anyway so another £2-3000? Don't replace something that ain't broke....

Megaflow ? I have as well and its brilliant..good hot water pressure etc....although Cowboyplumber makes a very good point.

In project terms decide what YOU want as a household..which only seems like a pump on the shower...and get that installed.....and don't run two baths at the same time...

Can't blame the plumber for trying to generate a bit of business though...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back