Do I really need two coats of primer undercoat on new timber?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have selected a water based Dulux Trade quick dry Wood Primer Undercoat because it provides excellent adhesion on previously oil based painted surfaces. It will then allow me to use water based on top of it.

I am doing up an old house that has plenty of yellowed white and peach! gloss work.

I've also got a fair bit of new timber, redwood and hardwood skirting's linings etc and I'm using the same primer undercoat for all work.

I will be using a Dulux water based satin wood paint for all timber and had planned two coats on top of one coat of the Primer Undercoat.

The tin suggests two coats of Primer undercoat though on new timber. Is this really necessary?

I have power sanded all the new timber before priming and the Dulux product has covered well.

Is there a different approach for external and internal work or the same?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You need to put two coats of the acrylic primer/undercoat on the new timber, one as a primer and one as an undercoat. Don't forget to treat any knots , use Zinsser B.I.N. as you're going all water based, sometimes standard knotting can stain through water based paints.

My local professional decorator shop told me not to bother with knotting solution!

I've put the first coat of primer undercoat on today. What will happen if I've not used the knotting solution?

I am using a very very dark brown top coat which almost looks black if this makes any difference.

Also my timber is kiln dried and had been in the house for several months before I took it outside and power sanded it. I noticed the knots did seem very dry.

Will I get away with it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back