Do I screw baton to shelf or shelf to baton?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going to put this shelf together. The baton will support the shelf to the back piece of wood. Shall I screw the baton to the shelf or shelf to the baton?
20170629_123947.jpg
20170629_123928.jpg

Sponsored Links
what are you trying to achieve ??
that set up will not take any weight other than an almost empty shelve

It could be worse it could one of those floating selves fitted onto a stud partition wall.

Sponsored Links
what are you trying to achieve ??
that set up will not take any weight other than an almost empty shelve

Bigger (thicker) piece of baton to screw the back and shelf onto? It's going to be lodged down the back of a radiator. Radiator shelf.

with radiator shelves assuming light loading
i make upsidedown "L" shape brackets the distance from the wall to the back off the radiator with about 1-2mm clearance and maybe 150mm long legs going down the back
the top is about 20mm thick and stops about halfway between the front edge off the shelve and front face off the radiator
if the shelves is loose between radiator and wall and tips a bit then pad out the front edge between radiator and support leg to push back a bit tighter

Last edited:
with radiator shelves assuming light loading
i make upsidedown "L" shape brackets the distance from the wall to the back off the radiator with about 1-2mm clearance and maybe 150mm long legs going down the back
the top is about 20mm thick and stops about halfway between the front edge off the shelve and front face off the radiator
if the shelves is loose between radiator and wall and tips a bit then pad out the front edge between radiator and support leg to push back a bit tighter

Let me check I understand this. Does the shelf itself rest on the top of the radiator? If this was the case, guess this would take the weight and there would be no need for brackets or my baton (from picture).

yes exactly right
in general radiator shelves are more to throw heat forward
are your radiators secured to a solid wall or plasterboard??
if solid assuming fixed correctly a further 6 or so kg will not be a problem

yes exactly right
in general radiator shelves are more to throw heat forward
are your radiators secured to a solid wall or plasterboard??
if solid assuming fixed correctly a further 6 or so kg will not be a problem

OK. I will just screw the two bits of wood together. Jam the back bit down the radiator and the radiator itself will support the weight. Bin the baton. Doesn't the radiator heat damage the paint on wood?

This radiator shelf was going to rest on top of radiator but would be bad as it blocks the holes in the top of radiator?

My second suggestion was to put 2 pieces of wood either end which would rest onto of radiator and support it. Be
20170807_111417.jpg
tter idea?

Surely, you don't want it literally sitting on top of the radiator?

The wood down the back of the radiator will be blocking/reducing heat flow, and the loading fromteh shelf onto the back piece of wood will pull the screws out because of leverage.

As above, or get two L shaped shelf brackets and put them on each side of the radiator.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...helf+bracket.TRS0&_nkw=shelf+bracket&_sacat=0
Note how their long L shape reduces leverage forces on the inside corner of the shelf.

SFK

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back