Do I screw baton to shelf or shelf to baton?

Why not fit two L brackets either side of the rad. at least they will take some load but shelves over rads are never going to look pretty.

I always thought the general rule was screw thin wood to thick.

Sponsored Links
Ok. I know what you're saying but the lady who wants this has another shelf just like this with a bit of wood jammed down back. I asked if she wanted brackets and she doesn't so if I carry on like this and put two pieces of wood underneath the shelf to rest on radiator will this be in any way dangerous or block anything? If not, then being a bit inefficient/straining fixings is something she is happy to put up with

Unless she's got a shed load of lead crystal shes going to put on it, or she's thinking of putting a fish tank on top, I don't think it would be any less dangerous than if the shelf sat a few centimetres above the rad. I would just inform her that the shelf isn't to be leaned on, sat on or have anything other than light ornaments. I'd even put that on the invoice or piece of paper you give her and get her to sign it so she understands, that way you're covered.

Unless she's got a shed load of lead crystal shes going to put on it, or she's thinking of putting a fish tank on top, I don't think it would be any less dangerous than if the shelf sat a few centimetres above the rad. I would just inform her that the shelf isn't to be leaned on, sat on or have anything other than light ornaments. I'd even put that on the invoice or piece of paper you give her and get her to sign it so she understands, that way you're covered.

So worse case scenario. Someone leans on it and it comes off fixings- what happens then ? Floods the flat?

Sponsored Links
So worse case scenario. Someone leans on it and it comes off fixings- what happens then ? Floods the flat?

The customer gets what the customer wants, you can only advise them and if you do the job, make note of the advice on the Invoice or if the customer isn't listening to good advice just don't do the job. Pretty simple really.

I'm sure the people involved are capable enough to make smart choices, well lets hope so.

i never do anything i am unhappy with if they wont listen walk away its your reputation
a disclaimer in my opinion is a bad thing as it says you let others tell you what to do when you know its wrong :(

BeView attachment 124509 tter idea?[/QUOTE]

I think I will not put any supports under it onto the radiator. Just wedge it down the back of radiator. If someone leans on it. The shelf will break not the radiator! I will tell her in think that's the safest solution.

By the way, is there any chance of radiator leaking anything serious? Her successfully getting me in trouble?

How cheap do you need to be?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170903-133528.png
    Screenshot_20170903-133528.png
    809.7 KB · Views: 83

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back