Do I tile under the bath?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies for what is probably a common question, the search didn't throw up what I'm after.

My bathroom is currently gutted. I intend to support the floor so there's no bounce, then use hardiebacker.

Should I tile and hardieback the whole floor? Or do I leave the area where the bath would be?

I was going to just tile the whole floor based on the theory if there is a leak, it won't all pool where there are no tiles.

Sponsored Links
If you run the tiles just under the bath, run a high bead of Silicon out of site on the tiles, to prevent water getting any further under the bath.

If you run the tiles just under the bath, run a high bead of Silicon out of site on the tiles, to prevent water getting any further under the bath.

Thanks for that.

Is it ok to tile wall to wall though so the bath sits on them? I just thought if there was a leak on the non tiled part of the floor it could soak down through my newly skimmed ceiling.

Sponsored Links
Is it ok to tile wall to wall though so the bath sits on them? I just thought if there was a leak on the non tiled part of the floor it could soak down through my newly skimmed ceiling.

That is also fine, but if need be, spread the load with battens, to avoid point loading on your tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back