Do MDF panels need sealing?

Sponsored Links
Hi alexeix,
These panels are made with waterproof glues so generally hold up ok in bathrooms. Would I be right in thinking you have paneled around the lower half of the walls and not right up to the ceiling? Can you still remove the bath panel to paint the top and bottom edges? access to taps etc.

I would use the zinsser Cover stain as a primer to start, I know you are not covering stains, but you need a good 1st coat that will not be effected by water stains, next use a good quality oil based 'Trade' undercoat thinned with a little white spirit, I still use dulux but others like some of the other brands. Use a 1" brush to go up the joints in the panel and a small 4 inch roller with a fine roller to go up the planks in between. Allow to dry for at least 24 hours and avoid using the bathroom with hot steamy baths or showers as this will add moisture to the face of the undercoat. When dry, flat down briefly with a good 240 grade paper. I would then do a finish in Oil eggshell in whatever colour you want.

If it's not too large a job, let the 1st coat dry then add a 2nd coat.
Satinwood as an alternative is a fairly recent addition to the range of finishes and I find it falls in place a little bit glossier than eggshell but below a gloss finish, although at one time many years ago a lot of gloss was used in bathrooms because of the moisture.

Dulux centre will mix you an Oil eggshell or satinwood in any colour, Farrow & Ball do a nice range of the greys, off whites, or french looking blue's but f & b's are water based as are nearly all in their range now.
Matter of choice really.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, panelled walls up to just over 1000mm and finished on top with some moulding.
The bath panel is fixed now unfortunately, so I can't access the top or bottom edges, but I could add a thin strip of silicon sealant to prevent water getting in.
I couldn't see a way to add an inspection hatch, so it there's ever a leak I'll have to take the whole bath panel off, but that's fine.

Thanks for the advice about the stain blocker paint - ill get some for all the panelling!
Cheers.

I have a follow-up question on this.

Bearing in mind that the bath panels are already fixed to a frame and can't be removed, I am painting the fronts with stain blocking paint, however, I am not planning to add skirting boards.

In order to prevent water spillages from seeping under (and then into) the panels, I am considering running bathroom silicon sealant along the bottom (and top) edges of the panels.

Does anyone see any potential problems with this?

The panels are water/moisture resistant (Wickes MDF beaded panels), so I think it should be okay, but I'm just looking for feedback.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I have a follow-up question on this.

Bearing in mind that the bath panels are already fixed to a frame and can't be removed, I am painting the fronts with stain blocking paint, however, I am not planning to add skirting boards.

In order to prevent water spillages from seeping under (and then into) the panels, I am considering running bathroom silicon sealant along the bottom (and top) edges of the panels.

Does anyone see any potential problems with this?

The panels are water/moisture resistant (Wickes MDF beaded panels), so I think it should be okay, but I'm just looking for feedback.

Thanks!

silicone will present problems when you want to repaint. CT1 would be better, but more expensive

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back