Do non loadbearing walls ever hold in an external wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I removed a downstairs non load bearing brick wall last year (wall ran in same direction as joists/ no wall directly above it but off set and it doesn't even rest on upstairs floorboards/ loose bricks ran along top of the removed wall and i think were only there to plaster onto and the ceiling plasterboard ran all the way through - so I am convinced although it was brick with a double doorway and lintel that it wasn't load supporting as there was nothing above it). However, the wall that was removed was bricked into the inner cavity wall of the exterior wall and extended at right angles to the other side of the room and into the chimney stack wall which runs up the centre of the house. The question is, would an internal wall, or part of it, be used to 'hold in' the exterior wall to stop it bowing out? I've never seen this mentioned elsewhere or is this all achieved through the box shape of the 4 exterior walls?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Not normally in a domestic property, but they can help in some certain situations with older buildings, but not essential more adventitious

Hi, I removed a downstairs non load bearing brick wall last year (wall ran in same direction as joists/ no wall directly above it but off set and it doesn't even rest on upstairs floorboards/ loose bricks ran along top of the removed wall and i think were only there to plaster onto and the ceiling plasterboard ran all the way through - so I am convinced although it was brick with a double doorway and lintel that it wasn't load supporting as there was nothing above it). However, the wall that was removed was bricked into the inner cavity wall of the exterior wall and extended at right angles to the other side of the room and into the chimney stack wall which runs up the centre of the house. The question is, would an internal wall, or part of it, be used to 'hold in' the exterior wall to stop it bowing out? I've never seen this mentioned elsewhere or is this all achieved through the box shape of the 4 exterior walls?
Thanks.

Certainly is mentioned in the regs' approved docs. It has some nice pictures showing chimney breasts and internal walls offering lateral restraint. It wasn't relevant to me, but I noticed as I was scanning the part A docs.
By the way, if you renovate a cathedral, dont remove the flying buttresses !
Simon.

Sponsored Links
Now I know it's called lateral restraint, I've found plenty on the internet. So now I don't know whether to get some one in for advice or just to monitor the wall - which after a year still seems the same. All the joists rest on this wall so maybe they are doing the tying job.

Joists do provide restraint to walls.

But despite what Part A says, in a normal house the internal walls don't do anything to influence the external ones.

The only instance I can think of is if the internal wall was bonded to some tiny external pier

Thank you both for your posts. I feel at ease now and had a look at part A reg's out of interest as well (something else I'd never seen online before).

You're safe to visit any cathederals, I doubt I'll ever renovate one!

Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back