Do not do online tax returns the system doesn't work

H

holmslaw

The inland revenue online service doesn't work.

I did an online return for 2010/2011 and they say they have no record of it. I've spoken to them and given them every detail, but they still don't believe me. So know I have to do a written appeal, luckily I have a print out of the return from their website.

I suppose nobody cares about it, because its only used for taxpayers contributions to illegal immigrants, asylum seekers and every work dodger in the country.

So they can stick their online tax return service where the sun don't shine, don't say I did'nt warn you.

Rant over, have a nice day :)

Sponsored Links
I've never had a problem yet, but will make sure and keep the confirmation emails and pdf copy from now on.

G

Yes I've used it before without problems.

I do remenber the last time I used it it would'nt let me have a pdf copy, but I did get a htm copy, which hopefully be ok as evidence.

But the main point is there telling me they have no record of the tax return, even though my copy was downloaded from their site.

They have a serious IT problem and I would advise against using their website.

The national savings site (nsandi) is not much better. It will not work on one of my computers , when I complained I was told "Oh, we've heard of this problem" but refused to advise further without me making a written complaint. So to anyong with premium bonds don't trust the new system where they just send you a list of your bonds, hang onto the original certificates.

I made a tax payment online after making an online return and unexpectedly a few weeks later got a request for the same amount and was also charged interest. I paid again but continued to tell them about the online payment. My Bank was very helpful and was able to tell me were in the tax office the money was sent. But it still took the tax office 2 years of complaining to resolve it. I also kept complained about the interest charged of £2.50 which I believe they forgot about. Eventually getting it refunded.
I was once asked for my portfolio of shares by some girl there because as she said because I have 150 in Rolls Royce I must have many more somewhere. I guess there was some logic in her request but it defied me.
They are in deed a right bunch of shysters in so many ways.
I would think there is a forum somewhere full of complaints about them.

Sponsored Links
I think everyone can think of "IR/HMRC b***oxed it up because ..." stories.

But I've been doing online returns for a good few years and not had any problems. On occasions I've struggled to understand their figures and been certain they must have it wrong - but then figured out they were right :rolleyes:

After the last tax return, I got two coding notices, in different envelopes, but same date and same post. One was complete and utter rubbish, the other was correct - and that's what they've been working from at work.

But I do download and file copies of their return - both the draft from before submitting it, and the submitted version.

To be honest, keeping track of my own accounts is far more hassle :confused:

The point you need to grasp is that my problem has nothing to do with human failure, on my part or the inland revenue.

Its to do with their computer system that doesn't work properly and loses peoples tax returns, in my book thats unforgiveable. But proves their computer system has been designed by incompetent clowns, who probably got paid many millions of pounds.

If they were a private company they would be in very big trouble for losing personal data and be facing millions in fines.

Where would I be know if I hadn't downloaded the tax return in htm format, right up sh** creek thats where.

Do not give any info to any government website, because you could end up the loser, with no way to resolve the problem.

Infuture, its photocopying, stamps and snail mail for me.

Its to do with their computer system that doesn't work properly and loses peoples tax returns, in my book thats unforgiveable. But proves their computer system has been designed by incompetent clowns, who probably got paid many millions of pounds.
In reverse order - yes, possibly, maybe !

As I work in IT, but not on that scale, I can say that it's incredibly hard, and eye-wateringly expensive to make a system that is "nearly" 100% fail-proof. 100% isn't possible, so in safety critical situations (aircraft flight controls, nuclear reactor controls, that sort of thing) they use multiple systems (sometimes running hardware and software developed separately). Every aspect of that is expensive, very, very expensive (what HMRC paid for their systems probably wouldn't buy you the project spec for a safety critical system) - in a previous employment I had some very peripheral involvement which gives me a bit of insight.

The world of commercial software, things are different. There will ways in which the software/systems can fail - not all of them can be blamed on the developers. UK Gov PLC are well known as the worst sort of customer you could imagine - other than having deep pockets (with our money). Imagine you arrive to do a pre-planned rewire, with all the gear in the van. The customer tells you that he wants brass instead of white fittings - and you realise that wasn't specified either way on the original discussions. So you agree to the change, have to order new fittings, but at least the customer pays extra. You get part way through first fix, then the customer has decided that the kitchen has moved (and again, you find that the location wasn't actually nailed down in the original spec) - you can imagine the plumber isn't too happy either ! So you change the plans, pull out some cable, and carry on to the new plan. But at least the customer pays extra.
And so it goes on - you have just finished wiring the CU when the customer decides they want all RCBOs (but the spec was vague on that aspect as well). When you are ready to hook up the tails to the meter, you find the CU has to move. But at least the customer has deep pockets.

You can imagine this nightmare job is going to have overrun by a considerable amount - both time and money. And all the tradesmen think "if only they had a proper architect and project manager to do proper plans and schedules, they'd have saved a fortune" - before adding "but we've done alright on it, I wonder if he'll be building anything else I can bid for ?"

Then to cap it off, a few days later you read in the paper how this prestigious development has been way over budget and very late. All the reader comments are along the lines of it having been designed and built by incompetents charging over the odds for shoddy work :rolleyes:

That is roughly how government IT procurement works. They don't have people who know how to specify and procure complex systems properly - so the contractors can always find lots of wiggle room for extras. Not to mention, before the spec is finished, the cabinet will have reshuffled and the new guy will stamp his authority by announcing widespread changes.
Of course, HMRC have the distinction of presiding over what is reckoned to be the most complex tax system in the world - the size of the tax manuals (measured in shelf-feet) doubled while Tony B Liar was in No 10 and his mate Gordon B Ruin was in No 11 - it's a wonder the systems work at all !

Anything important - I keep my own copies, some as "hard copy" in a filing cabinet, some as data files with backups (including copies held 'off site' in case the house burns down).

As as I've been writing this, I've had some terminal sessions to systems at work in the background - there's been a power cut at the office so I'm having to make sure all the system come up properly, some take a while to check file systems etc. We should have a UPS running the whole lot - don't ask !

Works for me, get the latest acrobat and read the readme re: certificates and signed content

Sponsored Links
Back