Do old electrics affect building regs in extension?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

We have a small extension underway on the front of the living room.
I took down the plasterboard ceiling in the existing living room to put up insulation and route cat6, speaker, alarm and phone cables along with a couple of ceiling speakers.

This has brought to light a couple of "issues" with the existing electrics which I am unsure if we need to get them corrected with respect to building regs on the new extension part.

There are 4 junction boxes (the round plastic ones that look like a ceiling rose with a screw in the centre to hold the lid on). Two are on the lighting circuit and two are on the mains on opposite walls - none of which are accessible with the plasterboard up.

The reason I ask is that the building inspector came round today and told my wife to be sure to get the electrics signed off as it quote "would be a shame to get it all finished and than have a problem because you don't have the paperwork" - although she says he hardly stepped into the room so in all likelyhood hasn't seen them.

So I suppose my question is: does the fact that its black and red t&e from 10+ years ago (old building regs?) mean I am okay to carry on boarding up...? or do I need to get an electrician in to crimp the junction boxes?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers
VWN

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back