do pipes need replacing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My toilet cistern float valve has started leaking and hence cistern is regularly overflowing.

When I open and clean the valve there are hard, black, gritty bits. When I remove them it works fine, but 24 hrs later these bits are back. Black bits also seen from bathroom cold water tap.

My pipes are metal (not copper), the property is 70 yrs old. I am guessing the black grit comes from the pipework. Is there a way to flush/clean the pipework or do I need to be looking at having it replaced?

Thanks for any advice.
John

Sponsored Links
Should not be grit in the water!

If it is tank fed then check the condition of the tank and see if there are any dead squirrels in it.

Good idea to change all your pipework and have clean water in your house
:D

Has the water board been working on the mains near you recently? Have any of your neighbours noticed the same black grit?

As a possible help you could run the cold water into the bath for a while and see if that brings much more grit out.

Its really necessary to find out why the grit has started coming out now when presumably it has not been a problem before.

Water main renewal is a common cause but thats more often sand.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

Feed is straight off the mains. Tried running the bath a few times but still it comes. No apparent mains work, but will check with neighbours and follow up with the water company.

Is it actually grit?

Get some of the pieces on your finger and rub between finger and thumb. If it smudges then the probability is that your lead service pipe is starting to break down. (I'm assuming the pipe is lead from the age of the property).

Jumping the gun by making assumptions but if it does smudge, and your pipe is lead, look at getting the pipe replaced ASAP and don't drink or cook with the water (use bottled). Over prolonged periods of time low levels of lead are no good for you, and once it gets to the point where it begins to break down the level of lead in your water will be way beyond safe limits even for short-term exposure.

It won't do any harm to seek advice from your Water supplier. They have a duty to ensure that they supply you with wholesome drinking water. If it is something they are causing then they will have to remedy the situation. If it is a problem with your pipework they can advise you accordingly. If you do call them, save a sample of water with the bits in. This will enable an inspector to see what the particles are.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back