Do Real Plumbers Use Yorkie Fittings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm interested to know what the attitude of plumbers/heating engineers is to solder ring fittings.

My house was built 50 years ago, when I imagine that s/ring fittings were a relatively new thing. Apart from the odd compression, all solder joints are Yorkies. All the houses on this development are.

Yet, these days, most plumbers seem to stilck to ye olde end-feed. Why is this? Surely Yorkies are quicker and easier. Is it down to cost? Is it to demonstrate that you are skillful enough to use end-feed? Or is it that Yorkies are slightly bulkier, and end-feeds look better?

Over to you.

Sponsored Links
Its mainly down to cost when your using hundreds of fittings on a job it soon adds up also end feed are smaller and neater in certain circumstances ,
yorkshire on show can be neater as there is less chance of solder runs down the pipe

End Feed are cheaper and the installer controls the quality of the joint. Capilliary solder fittings are fine but you put your confidence in the manufacturer.

At the end feed of the day, adding a bit of solder into a joint is so easy why pay more for each and every joint? We still need the solder in our toolbag.

There are some who prefer the Yorkshire type but in my experience they are in the minority. Not wrong, but different. :D

Sponsored Links
Yorkshires are used on contracts where the client needs proof that lead free solder has been used.

I've had that before. Housing association specs where for York fittings only, although I have been known to use their leftovers on other jobs. ;)

Its mainly down to cost when your using hundreds of fittings on a job it soon adds up also end feed are smaller and neater in certain circumstances ,
yorkshire on show can be neater as there is less chance of solder runs down the pipe

i dont have snots cause am that good :D

Yorkshires are used on contracts where the client needs proof that lead free solder has been used.

That is true for most commercial specifications, Yorkshire potable fittings are required on hot and cold water services.

It all seemed like a foolproof idea. Until I saw a plumber 'topping' up the Yorkshire fitting with solder from a coil; a yellow coil. :eek:

That was me - I wrapped lead free solder round a yellow coil - cuz I love a wind up :LOL: :LOL:

That was me - I wrapped lead free solder round a yellow coil - cuz I love a wind up :LOL: :LOL:

Yes, what fun that was!

How your jolly employers laughed when they were told to cut out all the soldered joints and give notice for an inspection prior to re-fitting. How you chuckled when you were told to take your tools and go forth and multiply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back