Do Sabre Saw blades have "set" on teeth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought an Erbauer Reciprocating Saw from Screwfix, reduced to £50. It came with three blades. Tried the wood blade but disappointed to find that there is no set on the teeth and, when halfway through a log, the teeth became stuck in the material.

My question is, do higher quality wood blades (Bosch?) have a set on the teeth?

Sponsored Links
Some do, yeah...

138983-225mm-plywood-plasterboard-wood-with-nail-reciprocating-saw-blade-6tpi-[2]-2687-p.jpg

Sponsored Links
If it's a wood with nails blade, then it might not have set teeth.

For logs, you want a pruning or wet wood blade, not the same one you would cut some 3x2 with.

Does "side set" mean that the teeth don't actually bend outwards alternately, as would be the case with conventional set?

If it's a wood with nails blade, then it might not have set teeth.
Demolition blades (at least the ones from deWalt, Milwaukee and Bosch) all have side set - without it they'd simply jam in the cut. The teeth are generally HSS welded onto a carbon steel body for durability. They aren't cheap, though at circa £25 for 5 (depending on length, supplier, etc). For cutting of non-embedded timber standard wood blades are a lot cheaper

Does "side set" mean that the teeth don't actually bend outwards alternately, as would be the case with conventional set?
Side set means that the teeth are bent outwards alternatively - it is the conventional set for a woodworking blade

Thanks for the explanation of side set and all the other replies - I now understand which type of blade I should buy

Well, I'm happy to say that I bought some Bosch blades from screwfix and, when you look down the line of the blade, you can see the set. Needless to say this blade cuts tree branches and pallets with ease. At first I thought buying the recip saw was a mistake but I'm happy now:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back