do the electrical limescale removers work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
do the electrical de scalers work - the ones that are advertised on tv. That get re of limescale, you just plug them in and wind a wire around the pipe near the stop valve ???
We have lots of limescale in the pipes and wondered if is was worth buying one of these.

Sponsored Links
I would recommend a proper ion-exchange water softener...I can`t comment on other things , I might be sued ;) :LOL:

Hi
Could you tell me what a proper ion-exchange water softener... is please??

Where do you get them from etc etc

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Electrical de-scalers may or may not work - there is little hard evidence (and this suits the industry). They will not give you soft water but may reduce scale buildup (personally I have my doubts).

An ion exchange water softener will produce true softened water.

They cost from £400 to £1000 and they do work. They are loaded with salt to regenerate themselves (clean out the resin) every so often.

Plenty of companies produce them eg Kinetico

Have a look on Google ;) I can`t paste links :oops: .Anyways they are sold in most Plumbers Merchants....the Gonzo`s behind the counters probably know them as softeners that use salt ;) They use the sodium (salt) to remove the calcium (chalk) from the water .. to give "true" softened water MODS........You are stacking up the answers :LOL:

However................, washing fabrics with soft water using normal detergents is not so easy, as the dirt is not so easily suspended in the water. Where in your pipes is the scale, and how long did it take to get that thick?

lynne9999 said:
do the electrical de scalers work - the ones that are advertised on tv. That get re of limescale, you just plug them in and wind a wire around the pipe near the stop valve ???
We have lots of limescale in the pipes and wondered if is was worth buying one of these.

i had one fitted.and they are useless....it's like magnetic bangles some people ware on their wrists....Nothing is proven..unless somebody knows better ?

The problem is that you didn't give it a good rub down with snake oil before you fitted it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back