Do these hangars on this exhaust backbox look corroded enough to be a problem on the MOT ? Pics incl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My car is due an mot within next 6 - 8 weeks , I am able to book it in from 2 weeks from now

I noticed tonight that the back box hangars look corroded but I'm no Mechanic , this is only my opinion from what I see.

Do you think the hangars on the back box look corroded and so you think this may be a concern for its upcoming MOT test ?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20200901_212204.jpg
    IMG_20200901_212204.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_20200901_213146.jpg
    IMG_20200901_213146.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 240
Sponsored Links
The corrosion is not a problem but that hole in the silencer will be.
Hello Motto, how are you friend ? Good to see you

I didn't even notice that hole maybe because I took the photo in the dark.
Do the hangars not look corroded to you ? They look thinned out and crumbling imo

Is it a repair or replace job for backbox ? Thanks

Sponsored Links
As above, fill the hole with Gun Gum or whatever.
(Does that stuff still exist?)
John :)

Hello Burnerman , good to see you ! I hope you're well

I didn't even notice that hole maybe because I took the photo in the dark.
Do the hangars not look corroded to you ? They look thinned out and crumbling imo

Is it a repair or replace job for backbox ? Thanks

Corrosion is not a problem if they are sound. As John says, get a bit of Gun Gum into it.

Corrosion is not a problem if they are sound. As John says, get a bit of Gun Gum into it.

The hangars look thinner at the bottom, bit of rusty flaky metal come off if I scrape it with screwdriver.

I could probably get a replacement back box for £15, is it worth just replacing it do you think ?

For £15 you might Just as well fit a new one - a tin of Gun Gum will probably cost a fiver!

For £15 you might Just as well fit a new one - a tin of Gun Gum will probably cost a fiver!

Just had a little look I'd say more between £20 - £30 I have seen them for £15 but atm they're about £20 - £30, then extra for collection and fuel costs.

Does it make more sense to just change it as the hangars are rusty and narrowing or would you just repair it with that stuff you mentioned if it was your car ?

Thanks

Does it make more sense to just change it as the hangars are rusty and narrowing or would you just repair it with that stuff you mentioned if it was your car ?
If it was mine, I’d definately replace it unless I was getting rid of it!

I've seen much worse systems than that go through the MOT - just bung the hole and wait for it to drop :mrgreen:
I have to say, £15 for a back box is ridiculously cheap....probably made from chinese bacofoil :LOL:
I go for Klarius systems often enough, even they are hopeless compared with the original.

Go to an mot garage that doesn't do repair and ask them.
They're usually very kind and a quick look won't cost them or you anything.
Can't properly judge from pictures apart from that hole.

I've seen much worse systems than that go through the MOT - just bung the hole and wait for it to drop :mrgreen:
I have to say, £15 for a back box is ridiculously cheap....probably made from chinese bacofoil :LOL:
I go for Klarius systems often enough, even they are hopeless compared with the original.

Hey Burnerman

Parts for these cars are cheap and there are many about.
I remember about 2 years ago I drove up to Scarborough which was about a 240 mile return trip, I was buying a backbox that was almost brand new it was either £15 or £20 . About a month after I bought it I discovered it wouldn't fit as the pipe was too big the bit where it slots onto the other section of the exhaust. I was told by a mechanic it was probably for the 150 bhp model although the guy I bought it from had said it was for the 120 bhp model.
I also realised at the time that there was nothing wrong with the backbox , after taking it off of the car the rattling was bits of catalytic converter or dpf that was caused when the idiot mechanic bashed the internals of it out.

I might repair it for now or I may just replace the silencer as the hangars are narrowing and look as though they will not last too much longer in my own opinion, I don't want to get caught out far from home with a dropped silencer.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back