Do these hangars on this exhaust backbox look corroded enough to be a problem on the MOT ? Pics incl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go to an mot garage that doesn't do repair and ask them.
They're usually very kind and a quick look won't cost them or you anything.
Can't properly judge from pictures apart from that hole.

Could that small hole in the silencer be an mot problem ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it was mine, I’d definately replace it unless I was getting rid of it!

Hello Motto.

Parts for these cars are cheap and there are many about.
I remember about 2 years ago I drove up to Scarborough which was about a 240 mile return trip, I was buying a backbox that was almost brand new it was either £15 or £20 . About a month after I bought it I discovered it wouldn't fit as the pipe was too big the bit where it slots onto the other section of the exhaust. I was told by a mechanic it was probably for the 150 bhp model although the guy I bought it from had said it was for the 120 bhp model.
I also realised at the time that there was nothing wrong with the backbox , after taking it off of the car the rattling was bits of catalytic converter or dpf that was caused when the idiot mechanic bashed the internals of it out.

I might repair it for now or I may just replace the silencer as the hangars are narrowing and look as though they will not last too much longer in my own opinion, I don't want to get caught out far from home with a dropped silencer.

Thanks

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...em-on-the-mot-pics-incl.552021/#ixzz6WrrrReGI

Yes, definitely.
Is this the same car with the handbrake cable problem?

It's the same car but the problem with the handbrake has been resolved now, it was the return spring that was missing but it's now fitted and the problem is resolved

Sponsored Links
Post the mot results when you get it done so you can show the car is not a scrap.
BTW, don't forget to choose your mot garage wisely: do not go where they do repairs or have any connection with a nearby repair garage.
My friend almost got scammed of over £1000 for an "excessive transmission leak".
Fortunately he drove off and went straight to VW who let him have a look at the transmission on the bridge: dry as a bone.
Pictures and report in hand he got his pass certificate and a refund from the dodgy garage.
No argument, they were extremely apologetic and blamed the "temporary " examiner.

Post the mot results when you get it done so you can show the car is not a scrap.
BTW, don't forget to choose your mot garage wisely: do not go where they do repairs or have any connection with a nearby repair garage.
My friend almost got scammed of over £1000 for an "excessive transmission leak".
Fortunately he drove off and went straight to VW who let him have a look at the transmission on the bridge: dry as a bone.
Pictures and report in hand he got his pass certificate and a refund from the dodgy garage.
No argument, they were extremely apologetic and blamed the "temporary " examiner.

Ok I'll do that I'll let you guys know the outcome of the MOT test.
As far as I'm aware it just needs minor things.

I know it's not scrap so I'm not sure what you meant by let you know the outcome of the MOT to prove its not scrap.
I think it's people seeking attention like Herts p&d or whatever his name is shouting scrap everytime I ask about minor repairs and people are getting confused and coming up with the wrong conclusions.

I am actually curious to his whereabouts, not concerned just curious. Do you think he's still 'with us ' ? I dont know.
I'd rather like to think he has respect for people now and he understands the phrase if you have nothing nice to say then say nothing at all.

I'll post the outcome of the MOT. The guy at scrapyard said £10 for back box so might go get it but it does have a bit of surface rust on the exhaust connection pipe where it slots onto other exhaust section. .

Have you ever bought anything new for this car?
Sometimes you need to believe the old say: "penny wise, pound foolish", don't you think?

Best of luck separating the two lengths of pipe.....:eek:
John :)

Oh I know , I've had to use a grinder before on a backbox silencer.

If I take this from scrappy I'll have to cut it off with a saw bring careful to.not cut the pipe

Have you ever bought anything new for this car?
Sometimes you need to believe the old say: "penny wise, pound foolish", don't you think?

Yes, many things.
But... It's s Vectra and they are not overly expensive cars. If I replaced everything with brand new I'd be a few thousand pound more into it and that would not make sense.
For example, I bought a used good condition throttle body for £15 it was fairly new, yet if I bought brand new it's cost over £180.

Starter motor few months old, paid £20, new would have been about £150

And as you know I've replaced many things on this car so it definitely not worth replacing it all with new parts

So if I was to buy everything new it just wouldn't make sense.
I have a huge list of things that I have bought brand new for this car ,
I also have bought a lot of good used condition things for the car , not everything needs to be brand new if they are in excellent used condition.

Best of luck with a scrapper exhaust.....there’s a chance it will be worse than yours!
I’ll speak out for Klarius exhausts.....although only mild steel with no aluminising I’ve always found them an excellent fit.
John :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back