Do these soffits have asbestos? Overcapping okay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got quotes from a few firms for work on the roofline, including overcapping the soffits. No one but one guy two days ago thinks the soffits contain asbestos. My wife is convinced he is just after more money (it is a family firm, the son had previously looked at them not mentioning any asbestos, but for proper measuring up the dad came along, who is "100% sure" it is asbestos). All other firms thought the soffits are not asbestos (one bigger firm had concerns from the street but when looking closer up they thought it was fine).

I know it's difficult to tell from the picture I attach, but do you have any thoughts? There is a lot of flaky paint and a texture to the soffit boards which I thought might be wood grain, though that "dad" maintains it's asbestos). There is no obvious rot so maybe it's not wood, but I am surprised that everyone else would have thought it's asbestos free. When we bought the house a few month ago, the surveyor didn't mention any concerns either (but the survey was rather sloppy, to say the least....)
I believe the soffits were installed in 1981 when the house was extended.

And if the soffits had some asbestos, would that have implications for overcapping? Would it be dangerous to do so, or should they fix the UPVC in a different way?

Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• WP_20170309_001.jpg
    WP_20170309_001.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 890
Sponsored Links
My house had asbestos cement sofits and drain pipes

I capped the low level sofits and a glazing company did the gutters/facial and soffits ( which were wood) with no bother. This was over 10 years ago.

I recently replaced some other drainpipes and took care to wrap in double layer builders polythene and the council tip took them by appointment.

Afaik so long as you don't smash it up, it is safe to remove but wear masks.
The rules may have changed but get a second opinion

I'd be wary 1981 build should be fibre/cement. Can't tell anything from the pic.

You can over clad them no problem.

The onus is on the firm doing the work to protect their empoyees, so they devise a safe way of working or of removal. But for you as the customer, you want all this quoted for at the start, as you don't want to award the job and they start on site and then say, oh its now going to cost you three times more.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all. As long as it is not a problem to overcap, i.e. it shouldn't cause too many fibres to be released, I am happy with it. That is all I wanted to hear!

One more asbestos question:
Right, a local roofer started doing some work, not on the fascias and soffits yet, but replaced an old asbestos sheet garage roof with a new felted one.

They were super fast taking down the asbestos boards and they are currently sitting next to my house. I had wished they had wrapped them and taken them away already! Their quote includes safe removal and disposal of asbestos but I am not so sure whether it is so "safe" after all. Once they have taken the boards, what can I do to make sure no asbestos fibres are left behind? And how to make sure there is not any health risk waiting in the garage?

None of the asbestos boards broke, but there was a lot of moss growing on them, which has fallen off and generated quite a dusty mess.

Imho

They should have laid heavy polythene down and covered the material, opening it only to add more, then seal it and double wrap it.

I doubt there will be much dust but I'd maybe wash the area down for peace of mind

Thanks. I am also surprised, and somewhat shocked that they didn't wrap it by any means. Now I am also wondering how careful they were when they removed it and when they put the new felt roof up (supposedly three layers). Two of them managed to do all of that in 6.5 hours!

I was thinking of washing it down and will do so when they are gone. Thanks. Any tipps for what to do inside the garage? Is the stuff airborne or does it settle?

If they have taken the sheets down whole they have simply unbolted them and placed them on the floor. No need to call the asbestos police.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back