Possible Asbestos Soffits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a ground floor extension that was build in the late 1970s. It is likely the gutters, fascias and soffits are the original ones from when the extension was built.

The fascias are wooden and starting to rot so I would like to replace them. The soffits look reasonable but the paint is peeling on them, and I think they may be an asbestos board. They feel lightweight rather than concrete, but not like wood, kind of like plasterboard. One of the boards has got a small bit of damage to the corner and it looks kind of crumbly. Obviously I want to avoid close inspection.

Does this sound like it could be asbestos or asbestolux soffit board? If so, what kind of cost am I looking at to (a) sample to confirm and (b) have properly removed and disposed of if necessary?

If I were to clad these soffits to seal them away and avoid having to paint, how would I attach the uPVC cladding? I would not want to nail or screw anything into the boards - would a decent adhesive do the job?

Also is it likely that, in removing the wooden fascias, I cause damage to the soffits? I have not done a job like this yet so I'm not sure on how they all fit together.

As we have young children I do not want to take any risks, so if they are asbestos I would either need to seal off safely and leave undisturbed, or have professionally removed.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I seem to be on the more paranoid end of the spectrum re asbestos, but I don't think you should be too worried about your situation. I recently pinned upvc soffit cladding onto my existing asbestos soffits. It's outside, there's only the tiniest amount of dust from pinning in, and that will mostly by trapped behind the cladding. Wear a p3 mask. I don't know about the construction sorry. Some builders or Roofers might be happy to help remove the soffits and you could then double bag & dispose...

Overall what's in your favour is that this is an outside job. I don't believe it is a significant risk.

I must be more paranoid because I don't fancy working with it at all. What glue could be used on it for cladding?

Sponsored Links
It's more usual to screw through the asbestolux and fix to the timbers above, but adhesives such as No Nails (solvent type) work well, as does ordinary silicone.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back