1986/7 soffits.... Asbestos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wondering if anyone could help with the above. I want to UPVC clad my soffits but the originals are a thin asbestos looking white sheeting.

A bit of history, my boiler was mounted on a similar looking boarding which was tested and proved NOT to be asbestos material.

If I shine a light on the soffit boarding there's a sparkle to it.

Any idea if asbestos was being used around the time my house was built.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid there is only one safe and sensible answer to this question get it tested.

Fair chance it may be ok but you can't be sure it was the same age and batch as the board from your boiler.

Some glittery boards are asbestos free (I had some 1980's soffits tested two years ago and they were ok) but definitely not all examples are asbestos free. The glitter is I believe silica incorporated as part if the constuction, it is not a reliable guide to asbestos content.

I can remember using a board back in the 70's that had glitter, which we changed to from the old asbestos (AIB) but I now discover from asbestos sites that the early stuff we were using did still contain asbestos.

I agree with what your saying. I didn't pay for my last text, how much is an asbestos test do you know?

Sponsored Links
Varies a lot cheapie tests on the net for about 20 odd quid if you take your own sample, but I always contact a local registered firm direct and send off a sample, the one I use currently charge £42 inc vat.

If they come out to take a sample its around £100.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back