Do Tilers Use Tile Levellers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Noticed a few videos on Youtube for tile levellers. Several different methods, some with wedges, others with a cup and grooved tie that is tightened with a ratchet gun.

Are they any good? Do pros use them, or aimed at DIY? Are they good for floor and walls? Which are the best type?

Any advice welcome.

Sponsored Links
there have been a few posts on here before and the general consensus seems to be that they are a waste of time. I certainly dont sell any, and never get asked for any.

If your using the correct adhesive and trowel, then i dont see the point

I tried them a while back and I have to say they're not as good as they look on some on the youtube clips that i've seen. They force you to change your tiling technique. I've been told they work well on very large format tiles.

I too have been looking at the promo videos, and reading reviews - a bit mixed to say the least. I am quite experienced (as a non-pro) and am about to lay about 12 sq m of floor tiles - 400mm square which is larger format than I am used to; I have layed a lot of tiles around 300mm square. My results are usually good, (compared to floors I see in other peoples houses) but not as consistantly perfect in terms of "lippage" as I would like. I would assume that 400mm is not "very large format" so are these levelling systems really going to help?
They do look expensive -- seems a bit mad to spend more on a few plastic clips that the adhesive would cost, for example.
As the tile format gets bigger - 300mm to 400mm - will the lippage problem get worse? I would have thought that with a larger area, adhesive spread will be on average better so less chance for a bit of uneven slump here and there and therefore less lippage. What's reality?

Sponsored Links
You level your floor and then you tile. No other method is acceptable.

"When prepping your floor for tile trade your level for a straight edge. Don’t be concerned with how level your floor is, be concerned with how flat it is." ;)
Anyone know a website that specifies the required flatness for a given size of tile? (or has a comment on the so-called levelling systems)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back