Do Unused macerators leak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have an unused macerator at a property that was apparently never fixed due to ridiculous cost.
Had the homecare around cos the neighbor is trying to blame a leak in her house on the macerator..

I was told on the phone that homecare dont deal with macerators and maybe the plumbers weren't qualified to have an opinion. the bathroom is tiled but the plumbers seemed pretty convinced that I should at least have water down the wall below in my house if shes got a leak casued by it, and they think shes probably trying to scam me.

She has a srious attitude problem but I thought Id giver her one last chance by asking here, heh.

Sponsored Links
I look after a couple of offices for an old friend/dump my crap there, one unit that has a macerator, has been empty for well over a year and that one hasn’t leaked at all

Had the homecare around cos the neighbor is trying to blame a leak in her house on the macerator..
How can a macerator or anything else in your property cause a leak in a neighbour's? Has she shown you or said where she claims the leak is?

Bottom line is yes they can. Would really need more details to advise more but a leak should be easy to find.

Sponsored Links
Rodents like to chew on the rubber low level side connections and the silicone discharge pipes as well as flexi pan connectors if fitted. The other unlikely but not impossible area might be from the air vent and as we all know water runs to the lowest point.

Rodents like to chew on the rubber low level side connections and the silicone discharge pipes as well as flexi pan connectors if fitted. The other unlikely but not impossible area might be from the air vent and as we all know water runs to the lowest point.
OK. More details needed about the properties to make a sound judgement.

If there is enough water to leak through the neighbour's wall, there must always be at least a small leak in the actual property that houses the macerator, right?

If there is enough water to leak through the neighbour's wall, there must always be at least a small leak in the actual property that houses the macerator, right?
"Always" as in constant or as a start point? The first No but depends on the damaged claimed the second is Yes, sorry just want to be clear here. What amount of damage are they claiming, a thin line of water mark running down the wall or much more? Anymore than a thin line is most unlikely to be from you. It would take a fair amount of water to soak through two layers of bricks.

Its a thin line. And i was just trying to say the same thing that the plumbers (who said they think its a scam attempt) did. That for there to be a leak caused by my side on theirs, there must always be a much larger leak on my side. Neighbour is now trying to convince me that the plumbers that checked it (who have no motivation for lying) are lying to me, and he wants to install a valve in my loft wtf.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back