customer getting upset and getting professional advice!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It started as a typical bathroom one in one out , but with no making good, tiling etc, as they wanted to do themselves.
The heating system was a oil floor standing boiler and cylinder in airing cupboard.
I knew id get problems if i drained down fully because there was 2" of scale and crap in header tank, and there was old ch wall heaters in rooms that looked well past it.

Bathroom went well. With a expensive vanity unit and victorian style sink, w/c and towel rail.

We worked non stop and also having problems thrown in like customer got replacement towel rail which was completely different pipe centers.

The pipes were behind wall and wall was made from ply, so out came the multi tool( its never straight forward , is it?)

Not wanting to drain down a old farm house system i went into the flee ridden loft and bunged the header , creating a air lock.

When she seen the new wc and sink she was over the moon, like a kid at xmass.
I removed one of the wall heaters by closing a old isolation valve on flow and return. Which she agreed with as,
No.1 the floors were concrete,No.2 the system was black with sludge and it was tea time.
The second heater ,the isolation wouldn't turn so i said it'll have to stay for now as its late and we could get into any amount of problems draining down.
I added i could do it live and put a cap end on but said there would be allot of mess and black sludge everywhere........that seemed to scare her off, as that time of night i didn't want to do it anyway.

We advised her that one of the valves has a small weep on it but will dry up ( you no the type a weep on the valve center)

Now a couple days later when payment was due she said we couldn't wait to go home!!!???
That we had left her with a leak on the valve!
That the radiators upstairs weren't heating up!
That shes spoken to British Gas and they,they've said we should go back to fix all these things we've created in her house.
basically were the big bad tradesmen , that we've cause loads of problems and stress and that we should drop everything and come NOW to fix things.

We charged a hourly rate and not a fixed price for the job, after more conversation she said that she was not willing to pay us and not willing to pay us to go back round to do more work. BUT when asked by my boss "would you of paid us if we stayed late on the night of the job" she said of course yes id pay.
Well whats the difference its the same work on a different day !
My boss said im not prepared to run my lads ragged making them work til 8, 9 10pm , which in the circumstances could of been possible, as fixing air locks etc can take hours in some cases. it was a hourly rate for that reason.

If the job was local we might of went to check things out, to cool things off a little as we never leave people in a situation.
But it was a 2hr round trip and when it came to it she said she doesn't want us to do any more work.

isn't it strange that she was happy as larry when we left, happy to the point of cringeworthy then on a different day cant stand us at all???

She then agrees to pay and not use us again, then changes her mind and says shes seeking advice.
We said to her i bet you didn't tell BG that we were charging hourly rate and that it wasn't a all in price. She agreed that she never told them, she just tried to skull **** us into submission . :evil:

You try to work hard, do a fair days work and still people just want to rape you for every last bit of energy.
How can you defend against such people???

Sponsored Links
She is being unreasonable and stopping you resolving it here, BUT devils advocate.... hourly rate or not mate, you can't leave her with leaks or stuff not working that worked before because her complaint stands on its own feet then and its sooo easy for her to paint you black. If it meant you needed to tell her before you started that the heating system needed attention and it would take an extra day and cost her more then that's what you should have done tbh.

Welcome to the life of being self employed, also why didn't you get payment on completion of work?

Andy

Sponsored Links
I am not a plumber or heating engineer, but what has this to do with British Gas, surely they are just another heating company now

She obviously phoned them for an "expert" opinion, and the call centre bunny and the customer decided between themselves that it was outrageous.

I am not a plumber or heating engineer, but what has this to do with British Gas, surely they are just another heating company now

Sadly, BG seem to employ salesmen, rather than gas engineers. Take their laptops away from them and they'd have to start using that bit of grey matter between their ears.

Do not bung, use a freeze kit (and charge for it!) to avoid airlock issues.

Yes I do carry bungs, use them rarely.

DH

She may have a contract with BG, has rang them up to ask them to fix the issues and they have told her they won't deal with them.

She may have a contract with BG, has rang them up to ask them to fix the issues and they have told her they won't deal with them.

Reading between the lines it Sounds like she has already been told by BG to do one because of the sludge.

Pointless her being on contract with them......a sludged up oil fired system gives about as little value for money as you can get with a BG contract.

If only there was a 'Trust a customer' website where awkward customers could be listed as a warning to other trades.

Sounds to me like she is just trying it on. What about coming to an agreement on price and then getting the hell out of there. I doubt you would want her custom in future anyway.

A couple of random thoughts...

The thought of having heating problems, especially at this time of the year, is not a good one - especially when you are reliant on others to fix it.

I have come to the conclusion that there are good and reasonable people in this world, there are those who you will never please, and there are p-takers. You just have to accept the latter two categories, and hope that there are enough of the first lot to make up for them!

Not one pipe system is it ? and by isolating one heater its stopped flow to others . isolater leaking you had already used bungs so it would only be minutes to re bung and remove and cap as opposed to going back .
Round trip time and distance is not the customers fault your boss knew this when taking on job and should factor in this in case of problem and revists req.

Sponsored Links
Back