Help with child care situation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

Our child minder has just literally this very moment) served us written notice advising as of the first week of may she is no longer going to look after our child, she told us she is changing careers. This is fine she can do what she wants.

However, due to the current covid-19 situation my wife has been put on furlough and I am working from home. And government advise if that unless we are key workers we need to look after own children. Again this is fine we love our child.

My wife pays for the child care while I do all the rest of the bills (childcare is as much as our mortgage per month). As she is on furlough she is only on 80% pay, so we spoke to the child minder and not wishing to leave her out of pocket in these current circumstances we offered to pay her 80% also.
My wife is off for at least the next 3 weeks and the child minder has 1 weeks holiday over the next month (she doesn't charge whilst she is on holiday).
When we started childcare with her we payed 1 weeks deposit . So it transpires that from now she will not have our son.
I do feel slightly ripped off that she has waited for us to pay for this month's child care knowing that she was no longer going to be looking after our son.

Now to the actual question, am I entitled to ask for my money back that we have paid for the month ahead?

Sponsored Links
Of course - she's the one who has 'ended the contract' as it were. If you've paid for a service not received then you are entitled to a refund.

Thanks,

My next question is has anyone had experience of getting child care vouchers refunded?

Are you paying a month in advance then?

So the childminder has been paid for April and May?

Sponsored Links
Are you paying a month in advance then?

So the childminder has been paid for April and May?

Yes we pay 1 month in advance.

We haven't paid for may, however when we started the child care we had to pay 1 weeks fee as deposit to hold the place. So I'm effect we have paid 5 weeks in advance

Thanks,

My next question is has anyone had experience of getting child care vouchers refunded?
I don't suppose you can - you don't pay for them. Is it from the employer? I think it gets complicated regarding tax etc. I think your employer would have to try and get them back?

I don't suppose you can - you don't pay for them. Is it from the employer? I think it gets complicated regarding tax etc.

Well the money still gets taken out of my wife's wages, albeit her company pays it to edenred, and for this my wife doesn't get taxed till after this money is taken out.

(Hope that makes sense)

Well the money still gets taken out of my wife's wages, albeit her company pays it to edenred, and for this my wife doesn't get taxed till after this money is taken out.

(Hope that makes sense)
Yeah, thought may be the case with the tax situation. I think you need to get onto your employer - or just accept that it's gone with the mad world we are in now as luckily someone is at home to look after your kid.

(Hope that makes sense)

I would guess at the company needing to get a refund on the vouchers and your wife getting a refund from the company. She broke the contract she owes you a one month refund.

Yeah, thought may be the case with the tax situation. I think you need to get onto your employer - or just accept that it's gone with the mad world we are in now as luckily someone is at home to look after your kid.

Yeah that's fair enough, I just feel I've been taken advantage of and the current situation.

You could always tell your wife's employer but they may just have enough on their plate. I guess inform them and leave it up to them and hope you get a refund. No harm in letting them know...

Thanks.

Will have a chat see what happens.

I'm going to call the child minder in the morning and demand she refunds the money we've given her over and above.

I fear she is going to use the fact she given us 6 weeks notice as being acceptable for keeping the dosh.

Thanks.

Will have a chat see what happens.

I'm going to call the child minder in the morning and demand she refunds the money we've given her over and above.

I fear she is going to use the fact she given us 6 weeks notice as being acceptable for keeping the dosh.
So in this month, April, you've already paid (80%) up front but due to Covid-19 shes not able to provide child care and you've effectively put her on furlough?

If so, then you've been very kind, but if she's self employed then she should be able to claim the government Covid-19 self employment support scheme. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-a...ovid-19-self-employment-income-support-scheme

So in this month, April, you've already paid (80%) up front but due to Covid-19 shes not able to provide child care and you've effectively put her on furlough?

If so, then you've been very kind, but if she's self employed then she should be able to claim the government Covid-19 self employment support scheme. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-a...ovid-19-self-employment-income-support-scheme

Yes that's correct.

However, because she is looking after a child whose parents are paramedics she isnt closed, so cannot claim loss of earnings from the government.

So I'm led to believe.

And to be honest I was happy to pay the 80% it's only fair, we've all got to club together in this time of need. However as she has now terminated the contract, albeit with 6 weeks notice, but she knew she wasn't going to have my son for the next 5 weeks, so I kind of feel she's being a bit underhanded.

Just read her letter again, she mentions 6 weeks, but I've just worked out on calender and it's only 5 weeks, not 6. Not that it matters.

Sponsored Links
Back