Warranty.....Where do we stand

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there

First time on here though i browse the forums a lot and there seems to be a lot of really helpful people on here so figured i would ask.

Our Idea Logic 35 combi had its last (5th) service in the summer just gone, all was well untill winter rolled around and we had to fire it up.

the last few Rads would not warm up no matter what i tried (Mother in laws house, just trying to be as helpful as i can, as you do :D)

Bled them all in order, balanced them carefully top to bottom, nada.
One got slightly warm, that was it.

After a lot of head scratching i gave up and asked a regular in the electrical wholesaler shop i worked in to have a look.
(Gas safe plumber/electrician)

He found that the CH return loop has been isolated just below the boiler (no idea if the chap who performed the service put this tap in the closed position or why, we just know it worked fine before the service)

All was well for a couple of days, all rads firing nicely, then the pressure began to drop....quickly and regularly, maybe 1-2 top ups every day required on the 1-1.5 Bar boiler (I also noted the filling loops to top up the pressure was left on from the service as well? isn't that against the regs?)

No leaks in the pipework upstairs as i figured with a pressure drop that quick, i should see some water soon, also worried to death about the stuff under concrete downstairs (poor lady just had the whole house refurbed...)

Cut to now and a couple of nights ago i topped off the pressure for her in the evening, switched off the boiler at the mains and closed the CH loop completely under the boiler.
The next day the pressure had still gone from 1.5 Bar down to under 0.5.

Apologies for the wall of text but the boiler is just out of warranty, and after checking the PRV outlet outside for leaks (nada) and condensation on the flue (again, nothing), i'm not prepared to do anything more given i'm not qualified to do so.
My questions would be:

Could the chap from Ideal that serviced it, damage any components by closing the CH return valve and leaving it closed, then the boiler running?
Should the filling loop "U" bend be removed when not in use?
Do we have a leg to stand on? (the 5th service report is not very thorough, while the previous 4 are)

Many thanks in advance, hopefully we can argue the toss with them, if its right to do so of course :)

Sponsored Links
If the boiler was serviced in the summer, how do you KNOW it was working immediately before the service?
Are you CERTAIN nothing has discharged from PRV. Try cable tieing (?) a balloon or rubber glove or similar to the outlet.
If the valve was completely off, none of the rads would be working.

Did the recent refurb involve laying floors/carpets?

If so, perchance - nail/screw through pipe under floor?

Threshold bars or carpet grippers are usually common suspects!

i couldn't be 100% fireman, though it was working fine in the colder months before the service and some time after the service, just not as it should, once the return CH tap was opened (fully?) the system worked as it should for a while, then the pressure drops began. As you suggest it could just be coincidental that the problem started when it did.

hello dilalio.

the refurb both up and down were all laminate floors, with no nails (even on the threshold bars). i also tried to remove a leak as the possible cause by cutting off the CH feed altogether from the boiler and the pressure still dropped :(

Have had a bag around the PRV to cehck for leaks too, nothing.

Sponsored Links
Love the way it's always someones fault! pooh happens and suprisingly not always caused by a previous engineer!

Might be worth noting the CH valve that was left closed was not the CH inlet on the underside of the boiler, it was further down, after a T...possibly could have been a split feed to the rads that didn't fire up....would make sense, so i guess now i just need to find out whats up with the boiler itself :D

Of course not always someones fault Boilerman2 :) thats why im asking if damage could have been caused by the valve being left closed and the filter not being cleaned as it should have been.

If this didn't cause the problem, that's fair enough, it doesn't change the fact that both should have been done along with the filling loop.

Check expansion vessel diaphragm in boiler. Is air side holding pressure? Put foot pump with gauge on it and check charged as should be.

turn boiler off. and if possible do what was said with regards the prv, and do it with condense pipe as well if possible. if water running with boiler off then theres defo an issue.

If it's inside the boiler you need an RGI to look at it anyway, so why not call the servicing company you have used and explain the situation, get them out and give them the benefit of doubt!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back