Do we need a new system or just boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone,

*I've posted this on another forum already (not this site) in case anyone thinks they are seeing double. Figured this would be the best place to ask though! *

Will try and make this as uncomplicated as possible! We have recently moved into a large victorian house with an old heating system to match. Having had a faulty radiator repaired we were shown at the time that the system is all sludged up and the boiler is older than me (!). We would like to get the boiler changed before the winter to save on our ridiculous gas bills. So here goes:

Boiler is very old
System is blocked up and radiators don't heat properly, boiler doesnt fire continuously because of this
Some radiators are of 15mm pipes, those upstairs are just 8mm (looks like system has been installed in two lots).
We want to relocate the boiler

The plumber I had out in the first instance for the dodgy radiator is local and was arranged by the previous owner. He said the system needed power flushed when a new boiler is installed (said we'd have to arrange that ourselves), and when we come to redecorate rooms to replace the radiators as we go inc any pipework that is too small.

Subsequently had a plumber round who has done work for a family member in the past, who said the whole thing needs replaced including all radiators. I can see his point, the system is knackered and I would assume the radiators corroded, but at over £7k for the job we just cannot afford it. However, we do not want to do half the job to have to do it again properly in the future.

So do we need: A new boiler only OR a completely new system?

We are also adding on a further 3 radiators to part of the house that isn't heated (where all the cold pipes are...) but I don't think that is of significance.

Opinions welcome

M

Sponsored Links
A new boiler will immediately give you gas consumption savings!

But care will be needed with flushing the rads.

A magnetic filter would be a good idea.

Replacing the old rads now will ease the flushing costs though.

Perhaps do that now and delay the additional rads?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back