Do we need an entire central heating system - Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We moved into our new house last December, and the central heating has been rather a nightmare, with a number of the radiators only getting warm at the top few inches (we had a very cold winter and had to get some portable electric heaters in to keep warm).

The previous owners had installed a magnetic filter to the boiler and we clean this every few weeks as quickly gets full of small metal rusty particles.

On top of this we had to replace one boiler value (got blocked by metal filings), and also the diaphragm on the boiler is also now bust (Its a gas fired combi boiler about 10 years old).

We have spoken to a plumber and his advice was that we need to get the entire central heating system replaced - because:
- The system has been installed on a single circuit when it should be a double circuit.
- The internal pipework and radiators will are so full of gunk that if you just replace the boiler, we will quickly wreck the boiler as it will just end up running corroded metal and gunk through it.

The house is an old 3 bed property, and I am sure the central heating is pretty old as it has a curved radiator that sits in a bay window, and I am told they stopped making these curved radiators long ago.

So, what the plumber says seems to make sense. However, the quote he's given us is £5,300 + VAT (for the whole lot inc a new boiler).

This to me seems a heck of a lot of money - even thought the house is a very old house and large at 1,400 sq/ft for a 3 bed property. I'd estimate we need 9 radiators in total, heated towel rails in 2 bathrooms and a good quality combi to run it.

Can anyone advise if this seem a reasonable price or if there are any other possible (cheaper!) solutions to fix the issues.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
His advice is lacking, and the price seems to low.

By "single circuit" do you mean a one pipe system, or a single heating zone (as opposed to two separately controlled heating zones.

Curved rads are available but expensive.

If the system is heavily sludged it can be flushed clean. If the sludge returns then there is a design fault (probably simple to resolve as part of a boiler swap) allowing air in.

Plenty of professional posters on here cover London - where are you located?

His advice is lacking, and the price seems to low.

By "single circuit" do you mean a one pipe system, or a single heating zone (as opposed to two separately controlled heating zones.

Curved rads are available but expensive.

If the system is heavily sludged it can be flushed clean. If the sludge returns then there is a design fault (probably simple to resolve as part of a boiler swap) allowing air in.

Plenty of professional posters on here cover London - where are you located?

From what I understand, a single circuit - as in the system has a single line of pipework working its way round the whole property. Apparently it should be on a double circuit.

You think the price is to low?? - I was hoping for about £3K all in!!

We are down in Dorset.

It says London in you profile. :rolleyes:

Dorset will be cheaper... but I have no idea what the rates are there.

You need a proper heating engineer to sort that lot out. Not some random plumber.

Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

Sponsored Links
I'm in ferndown on wed, i can pop round late afternoon if you want ?

There is a cheap fellow in Weymouth who does CP12 for £25,

Dorset is a large place! I went to school in Hampshire but the school is now in Dorset!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back