Do you have to stick to approved plans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a house, which we plan to extend and move to in few years time. We have tenants in it till then. I was thinking of getting planning permission now. I know the size of the extension we want, but we are not decided on the internal layout.

If we apply for PP now and it is approved, can we change the internal layout without re-applying?

By layout, I mean changing the location of the bathroom. Possibly making the bathroom in the proposed extension and making the original bathroom into a room or office.

Sponsored Links
Provided its not listed they won't give a hoot about the internals. You need to make sure the window/door sizes/positions suits any future internal re-modelling though. You're aware that Planning Permission only lasts 3 years before it expires?

Provided its not listed they won't give a hoot about the internals. You need to make sure the window/door sizes/positions suits any future internal re-modelling though. You're aware that Planning Permission only lasts 3 years before it expires?

Thanks. Good point about the windows sizes and positions. So I guess we would have to somewhat decide on our layout and then apply with that in mind.

Yeah I'm aware of the 3 years expiry, we are planning on starting the building after 2 years.

As FMT says, as long as you don’t change the external appearance, footprint or roof height, you can change the internals around as you want as far as Planning goes. You do need to consider compliance with Building Regulations when moving things like bathrooms/kitchens around though, sometimes it can create more problems than its worth.

Not sure if a bathroom in a new extension has to to comply with dissabled access :?:

Sponsored Links
You mean... all those new bathrooms I've designed with grab rails, contrasting colours, outward opening doors, etc... were not required? :LOL:

You mean... all those new bathrooms I've designed with grab rails, contrasting colours, outward opening doors, etc... were not required? :LOL:
So do they have to comply or not; or are you just joshing ;) I know they don't if within the existing property but unsure about extensions, arn't they classed as new build :confused:

So do they have to comply or not; or are you just joshing ;) I know they don't if within the existing property but unsure about extensions, arn't they classed as new build :confused:
No, bogs in extensions do not need to comply with Part M.

Watch out for fire escape routes, etc if you move a bedroom or similar and are 3 floors up - building regs can be a problem.

So do they have to comply or not; or are you just joshing ;)

The latter ;)

If you're creating an additional bedroom by moving some internal walls around, then I'm pretty sure the planning department would like to know about that as it would have an effect on parking arrangements. So that's the only "possible" time the LPA may be interested in internal alterations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back