Drawings for Planning Permission

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Myself & siblings have inherited mum's house, which we plan to sell. It's a 3 bed + huge 'office area' at top of stairs & only one bathroom - difficult as it is to alter the layout.

However if it were extended it could be redesigned into a much more atractive layout eg 4 (5?) beds + ensuite etc.

We don't plan to do the work as agents have told us we'd just recoup the cost involved, no better, plus potential buyers might want a different layout. but we're considering getting planning permission so buyers can see what's possible, or at least see that an extension of their own design would be likley to get PP.

Architect I spoke to suggested £2000 on the phone including PP, but when his written proposal came through it was closer to £4K + VAT + Planning fees.

My question is: how detailed do plans/designs have to be for PP? Could we draw up something ourselves just to get PP, bearing in mind we don't need builders plans as we won't do the work?

Sponsored Links
You're wasting you're time and money. Anyone that is interested in extending or adapting the property will know what is possible. You only need to mention potential in the sales particulars.

Yes you could do your own application if you know what to draw. But I would suggest that any mickey mouse drawings won't impress buyers. The other common issue is that your idea of an extension design, may not be the buyer's idea, and it could actually put them off.

Well it's not necessarily a waste of cash, it would demonstrate the potentali to extend, which may make the property more attractive. And if you employed me my drawings would cost less than a quarter of what you've been quoted and would look four times as good. But that's just me! :mrgreen: And no, I don't want the job. Of course if permission were denied that will put some off! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
£5K for planning drawings is crazy. It's pretty easy to do yourself but as mentioned poor quality plans might not impress. If you go to the council website they should have all recent local planning applications online. Download a few examples to give yourself an idea of what's involved (download approved ones for good examples). If you think it's something you can do then there's not much to lose. No way I'd pay £5K though.

I did them myself and I wouldn't say they were unprofessional. You've just got to go with what's best practice from the council website plus examples from firms' websites.

£170 for an application is small fry in the costs involved in selling.

Having permission or outline permission may add value to land, but it does not have the same effect for just extending a property.

If it's marketed with 'potential' that is enough to put buyers on notice, and they will then offer accordingly.

Selling a property with plans for an extension will not mean that the property can be marketed at a higher price than a similar property without them. It's just a waste of the plan and application fee.

if its an unusual layout then yes, a properly designed floor plan with planning approval will entice more buyers. i like some of the others on this forum will do such works depending on where in the country you are! :p

Property is in North London (Ha8).

Happy to receive offers from anyone interested.

Thanks to all for comments - pro and con!

A property with Planning Permission may not command a higher price than one without, but if a buyer sees two identical properties, one with, one without, then other things being equal, they're sure to go with the PP property. The cost of an application is peanuts compared to the value of property in Edgeware, so the only thing to consider is the risk of refusal. Barnet or Harrow?

they're sure to go with the PP property

Why would they do that?

You assume that they would automatically want to start extending the place, and that they would want exactly the same thing that someone else had the plans drawn for.

If they want something different the the planning permission is a waste of time.

Interesting debate. Our feeling is:

* A buyer MIGHT happen to want exactly what the PP permits
* More likely a buyer might want a different layout, but the PP reassures the buyer that the LA is open to extension, and that THEIR application is more likely to be approved
* it also clearly demonstrates the property's possibilities
* But If expensive to obtain, PP is not worth it
* If relatively cheap. it can add something, either £ value, or perhaps just ease of finding a buyer

Local Authority is Harrow.

cw - I've messaged you.

and that THEIR application is more likely to be approved

Sorry, but its not like that at all.

Any typical domestic property can be extended. Any buyer would know that, or find that out as part of the sale process from their advisors if extending was important to them. They will not rely on a seller for that information.

Just because a certain extension is approved, does not mean that a similar extension would be, it's not a precedent nor a standard. The buyer will find that out too, and will not rely on a sellers plans unless it is exactly what they want to build - even then they will be advised to spend money getting the 'as drawn' plans checked for accuracy, and liability between them and the plan drawer needs to be determined. That is a cost which will come off the offer.

A wise buyer will want the contract between the plan drawer and the seller to be assigned to them so that they have the copyright and rights to build the extension. Otherwise, if they do buy the house and try to build the as-drawn design, there are rights issues there. No other plan drawer can use the plans to do any more building regulation plans either - else risk being sued for copyright, and insurance being void
That's another cost which wont be recovered in the sale.

There is also the issue of technical design and other permissions - ie can the extension actually be built? Plan drawers don't bother with such details, nor do the necessary checks when just drawing plans for planning permission.

Bottom line. The property will only ever achieve the market rate for the property in the condition it is at sale time, so the planning fee and drawing fee and any other fee for the drawings is wasted and will not increase the sale price. And a buyer is foolish to rely on a property being sold with a specific extension approval, unless they intend to build it exactly and are prepared to be held to ransom by the person who has drawn up any basic planning plans in respect of the subsequent plans needed.

I'm with Mike on this one. When we would bought our property in Herts, all the rubbish properties which had planning permission for either a demolition and new build or a massive refurb, were quickly being snapped up by buyers who saw it as less risk. This is especially the case if the property concerned is in a conservation area where it can be a big gamble to get e.g. a full scale square dormer on a loft extension or event a gable, especially in Edgware/Harrow where my parents also live.

If 85% of the design is what the buyer wants, putting in an amendment to do minor alterations to the plan is not a big deal if the main 6m depth extension has been approved.

Not sure if it actually increases the price of the sale, but logic dictates that if suddenly 3-4 potential developers can buy into something that a) reduces the risk of a rejection and b) time to start the rebuild is shorter because of the approval, then it could very well attract another 5-10k on the price. This is simple demand theory combined with risk mitigation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back