Large single-storey extension layouts. Which is better?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

For the planning application, I want to ask what large extension layout is better in terms of scale and neighbours' amenity? The height of the extensions will be 2.9m.

I have attached 2 drawings below. I am the owner of house no.1 and my neighbour is the owner of house no.2. House no.2 is slightly wider and angled.

Layout 1
image.jpeg

Layout 2
image.jpeg

Grey colour represents original dwelling. Blue represents extension. Red represents boundary line.

Which layout are the planners more likely to grant planning permission to? Will the Council favour the 2nd layout, since there is a 1m gap all the way between the extension and the boundary? Or will they favour the 'prior approval' layout, which extends 6m on both sides?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Assuming any neighbour raised no objection on a Prior Notification for layout 1, it would by definition be p.d. and it wouldn't matter one jot what the council thought of it.
As for layout 2, that would need a planning application; and if I was a planning officer I'd not be entirely happy with a 13m long 2.9m high wall along the boundary and next to a neighbour's window, even if it was 1m away.

I would be a little surprised if the closet wing wa part of the original house, so dubious if prior notification would apply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back