Do you need a bathroom fan Isolator Switch

I seldom work in the rented sector, but yeah, I have seen tenants close trickle vents on windows, turn off extractors fans, use clothes horses, never open windows and then blame the landlord when the condensation turns to mould.
As a private Landlord myself I can confirm all of that. One flat had been rented by several tenants over 10 years with no sign of mould other than behind a fitted wardrobe, new tenant and at first 3 months inspection mould was listed, after 3rd inspection we did a random spot check and found trickle vents and extracter fans taped over, washing hanging over NSH's. Cheeky a******e even tried to claim compensation from us for his damaged property. He was there for 2 years and we had to spend a lot of time and money on repairs when he left. Funny though the 2 tenants since have had no problems with mould.
Other properties have had similar experiences but to a much lesser extent and took note of advice.

Sponsored Links
In the years since double glazing and central heating I have lived in three homes, one had a mould problem, and two no problem at all.

I think the main problem was down to an over bath shower, which has a glass partition which creates the chimney effect so the moisture is distributed throughout the room, the two home with no problem, was was a wet room, so no curtain or panel around the shower, the other the shower sealed at bottom so no chimney effect.

The wet room did have a fan, but after the LABC inspector left, it was switched off, and never used again. Shower with sealed bottom on cubical the vent was covered over the shower reinstalled, and fan has never worked, the one with problem fan never fitted.

Never had a problem with a bath in any home, only with showers does there seem to be a problem. I do see the problem if a tenant does some thing to invite the formation of mould, and I would be writing a letter keeping a copy to advise tenants that extractor fans should be used, but not sure if a landlord can insist on their use unless damage is evident.

I do see the problem if a tenant does some thing to invite the formation of mould, and I would be writing a letter keeping a copy to advise tenants that extractor fans should be used, but not sure if a landlord can insist on their use unless damage is evident.
This the point, a landlord is unable to control a tenant, and to be honest mould is a big headache as it needs to be addressed and bringing in all sorts of experts and their reports falls on deaf ears. However the landlord is always expected to cure the damp problem but not allowed to get rid of the problem (the tenent).

This the point, a landlord is unable to control a tenant, and to be honest mould is a big headache as it needs to be addressed and bringing in all sorts of experts and their reports falls on deaf ears. However the landlord is always expected to cure the damp problem but not allowed to get rid of the problem (the tenent).
I see no reason why it could not be a contractual requirement that the tenant "takes all reasonable steps" to minimise condensation (and hence the development of mould.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I see no reason why it could not be a contractual requirement that the tenant "takes all reasonable steps" to minimise condensation (and hence the development of mould.

Kind Regards, John
Oh that sounds sooooooo easy.

1. They tell agent they open the window...
2. agent tells landlord to sort the problem...
3. landlord calls in an expert...
4. experts says more ventilation required...
5. landlord tells agent and tenent...
6. goto 1.
3. landlord calls in different expert
7. tenant moves out...
8. damp problem goes away.

Damp/comdensation/mould is never the tenants fault, always the landlords problem.

The worst tenant insisted he always opened the kitchen window while cooking, I stood a little glass jar on the cill outside, totally invisible from all angles apart from the adjacent property. In the jar was a slip of paper with the date and photographed it, printed the photo and sealed it in an envelope, left it with the agent and asked them to take it on their next inspection and open it in front of tenant when he complains about mould again.

Guess?

Last edited:
I looked at the idea of renting mothers old house out, but there were so many hoops to jump through I sold it instead. I see in this area on social media many requests for rental property, it seems the house to rent is becoming a thing of the past, and more and more are living in caravans as can't rent a house.

I think Colvid was the last straw for many landlords where the tenant could withhold rent without being evicted, no thought was given to how the landlord would be with the loss of income. Then more and more rules seem to have been passed, making it harder and harder to evict a tenant, and so many are getting out before new rules come in.

There must be some good tenants, I know I rented in Hong Kong, I knew I would not be there long enough to buy a flat, but for long term rental, the question has to be why rent rather than buy? And main reason is they can't get a mortgage, which means the lenders think they will default on payment, and are a bad risk, so getting a good tenant has to be hard.

It seemed unbelievable that you can buy a house and rent it for enough money to pay the mortgage and have some to spare. But in my life time I have seen regulations swing from protecting tenants and landlords a few times, governments don't seem to be able to see what they are doing will dry up the rental sector.

@frank999
Interested to know what is your planned outcome?
Are you going to remove the switch, join the cables in the backbox and put on a blanking plate?
Or something else?
Sfk

Oh that sounds sooooooo easy. ... 1 .... 2 3 ....... 8 ... 1 ... 2.... 3 ............
Damp/comdensation/mould is never the tenants fault, always the landlords problem.
I suppose that it's down to 'human nature', but there very often seems to be a tendency for not only 'blanket tarring with the dame brush', but tarring with a brush that, in truth, only applies to a small minority of 'bad cases'. I also suppose that is at least partially because we generally hear only about the 'bad' cases - just as we don't hear on the 6 o'clock News about all the planes that have not crashed, and all the people who have not been murdered, we don't often hear/talk about 'good tenants', 'good landlords', 'good electricians' or whatever.

Just as with electricians, I think it's the case that (even if we hear much more about the exceptions) the majority of tenants, and the majority of landlords, are 'good' and 'reasonable' - but the anecdotes we hear/read will inevitably tend to major on the exceptions to that.

So, yes, there are some tenants who will behave as you suggest (and some landlords who are 'dreadful'!) - but I suspect you would find that many tenants complaining about condensation etc. which was partially 'their fault' would actually accept, and act upon, advice they were given about what they could do to improve the situation.

Kind Regards, John

I suppose that it's down to 'human nature', but there very often seems to be a tendency for not only 'blanket tarring with the dame brush', but tarring with a brush that, in truth, only applies to a small minority of 'bad cases'. I also suppose that is at least partially because we generally hear only about the 'bad' cases - just as we don't hear on the 6 o'clock News about all the planes that have not crashed, and all the people who have not been murdered, we don't often hear/talk about 'good tenants', 'good landlords', 'good electricians' or whatever.

Just as with electricians, I think it's the case that (even if we hear much more about the exceptions) the majority of tenants, and the majority of landlords, are 'good' and 'reasonable' - but the anecdotes we hear/read will inevitably tend to major on the exceptions to that.
I use 2 rental agencies and both have on more than one occasion said something like 'we wish all landlords were like you' and 'you really didn't need to redecorate'.
However statistically my properties seem to fetch top price, I seem to attract better quality tenants and average tenancy seems to be longer than others. All confirmed by agents.
So, yes, there are some tenants who will behave as you suggest (and some landlords who are 'dreadful'!) - but I suspect you would find that many tenants complaining about condensation etc. which was partially 'their fault' would actually accept, and act upon, advice they were given about what they could do to improve the situation.

Kind Regards, John
Yes we've had several complaints about condensation/mould but they go away when the agent explains the reason/avoidance. 2 in different properties had an ongoing problem but both were proved to be ignoring the advice with spot checks.

A neighbouring flat had the same issue which reached council EHO, they did a spot check under warrant where just about everything possible was being done by the tenant to create condensation. Tenant was rehoused, landlord was instructed (I'm sure there is a correct legal term) to correct/upgrade the property which included inspections akin to building control. Property was de-moulded and redecorated under their control but no alterations were made as property was already up to standard... I'd love to know what happened in the property the tenant moved to.

I use 2 rental agencies and both have on more than one occasion said something like 'we wish all landlords were like you' and 'you really didn't need to redecorate'.
As I said, it's really down to human nature, rather than anything to criticise, but I suspect people often say things like that because they (probably subconsciously) 'remember' all the bad cases (tenants and landlords) and forget 'the majority' (many of whom might be "like you").

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back