do you think it is fair prepayment meter customers.....

N

NoHounds

do you think it is fair prepayment meter consumers should pay more than credit meter consumers.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I said no because why should any one who pays upfront for anything pay more than someone who lives on credit.

The ability to buy anything in a small quantity costs more than buying it in a large quantity. Does not really matter if pick and mix sweets or electricity. The phrase “Pre-pay” is misleading as if you prepay with bankers order there is no premium payment only when you have some special meter and an arrangement to pay in small instalments is there a premium charge.

Some people have no real option. Where the abode is not fixed, for example caravans and boats, then often the occupants are charged a premium rate. In this case there is very little the occupant can do about it. Not quite so bad with narrow boats as they can move marina or even run the main engine. But living caravans are not normally accepted on sites as second hand so the occupant is at the mercy of the land lord.

A cap on the price of utilities would seem a fair option. But this would have to apply across the whole series. From sewerage emptying and water supply, to oil, gas, coal, and electric. And this would need to reflect the cost of most costly item. Because this would vary so much in real terms there is no way anyone can force suppliers to cap at a level which would seem fair.

Most people living in fixed abode do have the option to pay per quarter so long as they don’t default on payment so for them they can choose the payment method so don’t see any problem.

But for those of no fixed abode even when they pay on the dot every time and have road or water ID and tax so can’t really run away. The landlord can fix what price he likes for pump out, Water, Fuel oil, coal and electric and if any law fixes one he will just raise the price for the others. So it will never change.

Their meters cost more, and then theres keys, maintenance, the whole key charging infrastructure, paying commision to retailers for charging keys.

Direct payment customers pay by direct debit or paypoint or post office. Dead simple.

Why should people on key meters pay less? Their service costs more.

Their meters cost more, and then theres keys, maintenance, the whole key charging infrastructure, paying commision to retailers for charging keys.

Direct payment customers pay by direct debit or paypoint or post office. Dead simple.

But the electricity or gas company's don't need to send someone out to read the meters,thereby saving them money.

But the electricity or gas company's don't need to send someone out to read the meters,thereby saving them money.
Your assuming they pay the gas, electric, water, sewerage, telephone supplier direct. However many don't. I have stopped on many a caravan site where I have either been charged fixed fee or metered with pre-pay meter which the landlord sets.

This rate could be well in excess to what he pays for the service and although I agree he needs to recoup the cost of the installation they has to be a limit to what he can charge.

However the per-payment meter must be better than the unknown charge that can be levied when it is read on arrival and departure.

As to cost of reading meter they are allowed to estimate every other and often it goes on a lot longer so the time spend reading a meter must cost less than fees paid to agents to sell the cards. And pre-payment meters cost more until the smart meters are rolled out. Even then I expect you will get pre-payment smart meters so they will still cost more.

I agree fair price and it is fair to charge more when it costs more. Why should those with accounts subsidise those with per-payment meters?
So yes agree a cap but it will still cost more.

Sponsored Links
Back