Do you think it possible to replace a concealed shower from the back?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have a concealed shower that has seized and no longer in production to get replacement parts. I have contacted a few plumbers over the last few months and none are interested in doing the job so I need to do this myself.

I do not want to damage the tiles from the front and we can easily access the unit from the rear as it is in a stud wall which I can replaster once sorted.

I am thinking take the old one out from the back, find a similar one with outlets and valves in similar locations and a faceplate big enough to cover any damage where the valves come through.

My question/concern is, do you think this is doable as all the plumbers I contact seem to run a mile?

Has anyone else done this successfully or is there an a major flaw in my plan?

Sponsored Links
Pictures would be helpful. I don't see any reason why you can't do it from reverse side .

Sponsored Links
Pictures would be helpful. I don't see any reason why you can't do it from reverse side .
Not yet cut into the wall to expose the shower and pipework from reverse but have attached a picture of the front for reference.

Have you any spare tiles?
I do but they are quite large, maybe 600 x 200mm, and the location of the front valves cover two tiles, one of which goes behind the glass screen creating the shower enclosure so that approach seems like a bit of job too. I guess I could try replacing from the reverse side and if that fails look at removing the screen and tiles and access from the front.

Attachments

• Shower.jpg
    Shower.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 40
What's the make and modal of the shower.

Are you sure parts aren’t available? I have just had to buy parts for a shower that was installed nearly 27 years ago.

It is a Kartell K-VIT Element shower. I have been told by a local plumber that he contacted them and was told they no longer make this unit or sell parts.

Searching online you can find sellers of this unit but from what I can tell they have changed the design so the front now looks different. I have just emailed Kartell to ask if the new version is just a facelift of the shinny bits you can see and if the valves and unit in the wall remain unchanged.

My Element shower looks like this
1675685085258.png

The newer Element shower looks like this
1675685155811.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back