Do you 'think outside the box'?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In other words, are you creative and good at problem-solving? If so, I need your help! I'm in the process of making a 'water wall' for the little ones I look after, similar to these ones:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=ch...nw=73&start=0&ndsp=17&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0,i:81

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=ch...=1600&h=1200&ei=N4bIT5iLBYPPhAfbqfDYDw&zoom=1

I've decided to make it from weld mesh stapled to a wooden frame. Empty bottles and hosepipe and stuff should be attachable with string/wire ties, but I'm not sure what to do about plastic pipe. I have a lot of old 'Habitrail' plastic tubes left over from pet gerbils that I really want to use, but I don't know how on earth to attach them! They must be:

*Easily removable and restorable to their original state (they belong to my sister)

*Robustly attached so the 16 month old can pull at them without them moving

*attached in such a way so that no string/ties/whatever's attaching them prevents my little rubber duck from sliding all the way down. (Sorry, I appreciate I'm making no sense here!) The tubes are made in 2 halves and only joined together with plastic rings at the end. I'm going to take off the rings so when I say 'tube' I really mean 'half tube' - like a swimming pool flume with an open top. I have a little rubber duck for the children to place at the top so it can ride the flume, but the way I've made it now (just to see how it would go) the string I'm using is stopping the duck in it's tracks.

I'd post photos to help show you what I mean but unfortunately my camera battery isn dead.

If anyone has any suggestions of how it could be done please let me know!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Guys, stop, I am overwhelmed with your useful suggestions!! :LOL:

Actually, I was thinking maybe rather than weld mesh I make the frame from lattice, and use those extra strong sticky tabs (that claim to be removable) to hold the things in place. Does anyone have any experience with those things? Are they easily removable, and do they stay sticky enough for you you use the same ones again?

Guys, stop, I am overwhelmed with your useful suggestions!! :LOL:

Actually, I was thinking maybe rather than weld mesh I make the frame from lattice, and use those extra strong sticky tabs (that claim to be removable) to hold the things in place. Does anyone have any experience with those things? Are they easily removable, and do they stay sticky enough for you you use the same ones again?
COULD YOU BE MORE VAGUE?

I have read this twice now but I still have no idea what you are making.... good luck though heath Robinson hehe.

ok if i am understanding what you are after :eek:

you want to easily firmly fix but not damage some off the componants ??

have you thought about binding with electrical tape

I did think of tape, but is it possible to get really waterproof tape that's still easily removable?

i know it looks expensive but think off the fun you can have with all the colours although you will need a screwfix near by
http://www.screwfix.com/p/insulation-tape-multipack-19mm-x-33m-14pcs/82092

other options is look up electrical wholesalers and get a selection

they will adhere to any dry surface and wont wash off very easilly
if its rapped round 5 or 6 times it wont go anywhere untill you unwind or cut the tape :D

You could try some industrial velcro tape.

Not the cheap crappy stuff but the decent stuff that's supposed to be able to hold VCR's up etc.

That would be removable, waterproof and easy enough to use.

Although on round shapes you would need to fix a strap of it to the frame and wrap it around the body.

Ask someone who`s into bdsm - a master or a sub perhaps :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back