Tighten Polo 2001 clutch cable

Sponsored Links
Automatic adjuster in the pedal box, I think. Or its on the end of the cable as it enters the pedal box.

For the manual cable, slacken the 10mm nut a couple of turns, then turn the other nut -13mm I think, on the plastic swivel - until you get around 6mm free play when pulling the operating arm towards the front of the car. Hold the 13mm nut and tighten the smaller nut up to it, to lock it there.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I have the same VW polo where the clutch cable snapped. I've bought a new one and the instalment of it looked quite easy but it is more difficult than I thought. I managed to put both ends in place (the one on the clutch pedal and the one that has to be attached to the lever on the gearbox). However when I want to put the last bit in place the bit next to the end with the 2 nuts on it, I don't have enough cable to put it in its bracket. I've tried pushing the lever (even with warming up the engine and I’ve tried to put it in different gears) but I don’t get any movement in the lever.

If I take the end bit with the bolts off, I can put the cable with the ring bit on it in its place on the gearbox but when I want to reassemble the end bit with the bolts I don't have enough thread on the cable to put the bolts back on.

Basically I can fit the cable on 2 out of the 3 points but I'm every time I want to assemble the cable on its third point (no matter which one of the 3 it is) I'm short on cable (+-1-2 cm).

Does anybody know how I can get this cable fixed (possible by getting the lever moved which of I’m not sure how to do this)?

Your help will be much appreciated!
Apologies for the spelling mistakes

Did you check the cable lengths, just to make sure they are the same?
If so, I guess the problem is that the clutch operating arm is too strong to move......no surprise there!
Any chance of getting a spanner on the end of the lever, just to get you more leverage?
John :)

Thanks for your quick reply. The cable lenght is the same. I don't have a spanner but I'll see if I can get one to get a bit of movement in it, not sure how else to fix it :p

sorry, I translated spanner wrong, I thought it was a pipe wrench. I do have spanners but there is not enough space in there to extend the arm with the spanner.

I was thinking of a pipe wrench maybe (don't have it but might get one and see if it works

Sponsored Links
Back