replace a polo 2001 clutch cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a VW polo where the clutch cable snapped. I've bought a new one (see picture: http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=vw...&ndsp=13&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&biw=1024&bih=594) and the installation of it looked quite easy but it is more difficult than I thought. I managed to put both ends in place (the one on the clutch pedal and the one that has to be attached to the lever on the gearbox). However when I want to put the last bit in place the bit next to the end with the 2 nuts on it, I don't have enough cable to put it in its bracket. I've tried pushing the lever (even with warming up the engine and I’ve tried to put it in different gears) but I don’t get any movement in the lever.

If I take the end bit with the bolts off, I can put the cable with the ring bit on it in its place on the gearbox but when I want to reassemble the end bit with the bolts I don't have enough thread on the cable to put the bolts back on.

Basically I can fit the cable on 2 out of the 3 points but I'm every time I want to assemble the cable on its third point (no matter which one of the 3 it is) I'm short on cable (+-1-2 cm).

Does anybody know how I can get this cable fixed (possible by getting the lever moved which of I’m not sure how to do this)?

Make: VW
Model: Polo
Engine size/Type: 1.4 petrol
Year: 2001
Mileage: 110000

Your help will be much appreciated!
Apologies for the spelling mistakes

Sponsored Links
Back