Problem with clutch/gearbox on 2007 1.4 diesel VW Polo...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI... I HAVE LITERALLY JUST HAD MY CLUTH REPLACED ON MY 2007 1.4 DIESEL VW POLO. I CAN SEE THAT THE SPRINGS ON THE CLUTCH HAD DEFINITELY GONE, HOWEVER, NOW THAT EVERYTHING IS BACK IN PLACE THERE IS STILL A SIMILAR RATTLING NOISE COMING FROM THE ENGINE. THIS NOISE COMPLETELY DISAPPEARS WHEN WHEN I PUT THE CLUTCH DOWN AND IS ONLY EVIDENT WHEN IDLING. I HAVE ONLY DRIVEN IT FORWARDS A METER AND REVERSED IT BACK A METER OR SO AND HAVE NOT DRIVEN IT FURTHER THROUGH FEAR OF FURTHER DAMAGE. IS THIS LIKELY TO BE THE GEAR BOX OR THRUST BEARING??

Thanks

Darren

Sponsored Links
I think this really depends on how loud the noise is.....all gearboxes have some backlash (clearance) in the mesh of their gear wheels, and depressing the clutch loads up those clearances and the noise disappears.
Sometimes a change of gearbox oil helps.
When the clutch is replaced, the friction plate, pressure plate and thrust bearing need to replaced as a unit.
When you say you could see the old clutch springs gone, are you talking about the coil ones in the friction plate, or the diaphragm spring fingers of the pressure plate?
John :)

I'd say thrust bearing.
as it not always changed with the clutch.
bit like idlers when you do a cam belt

Thats my guess too. It would be interesting to know what sort of mileage we have here....in the bad old days, even excessive crankshaft float could be taken up when the clutch was depressed :p
John :)

Sponsored Links
......I have changed thrust bearings and they have still rattled, usually stop when you rev the engine or press lightly on the pedal, never caused a problem though

Peter

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your feedback. It turns out it was a faulty bearing in the gearbox that was rubbing and rattling. has now been replaced and fixed.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Darren

Back