dodgy heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently come across some electric panel heaters which I am not happy about. They are wall mounted on loose brackets,cables clipped along skirting to plug sockets. Thing is they are in a kitchen in a building which is not domestic but people stay overnight on a temporary basis. One has become faulty,when I raised this problem with a staff menber I was told 'we have a handyman who can have a look at it'. I am wondering if this legal,obviously would be with fixed wiring,I think they have plugged them rather than using a fixed outlet, to sidestep Part P and/or them being in a kitchen.The plugs have no PAT labels on them.
My first post so I appreciate any thoughts or knowledge on this.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
They are in a kitchen in a building which is not domestic, so nothing to do with Part P. However likely would be covered by health and safety at work, but often there is a procedure that needs to be followed, like the handyman has to raise the report for an electrician to be called.

However main thing is watch your own back, so MUST be reported in writing, it can be a text message, or written on fag packet, but all health and safety reports must be in writing, and it the HSE find you knew about a fault and did not report in writing you could find yourself in court.

There is no requirement for labels saying inspected and tested, it must be written down, but tested all items in office number 5 will comply, in the main the labels help us the electrician to ensure we don't retest the same item many times.

What the BS 7671 regulations say are not law, but may be used in a court of law to show reasonable care not taken, and this phrase reasonable care means that things do not need to be perfect, but the rules have caught me out from time to time, we try to comply, and some times it seems what ever we do, it's not right.

But in many cases it is a paperwork exercise, I have been called on the phone in a noisy environment and only managed to work out some thing wrong in Unit 5, so visit Unit 5, see the manager, who has no idea what the fault it, so I write in the book visited Unit 5 no fault found, no report of fault in book. I am sure you can see the problem, there was a fault, but since not written down, I have no idea what the fault was. Then some one is injured, and some one spouts out, I did call the electrician, so next question is where did you write down the problem.

There is no requirement for items to be fixed, I have used items with 63 amp plugs and sockets using more power than a normal house, 5 years is maximum time between inspection and testing, but in the main it is a lot shorter, I have worked where 3 months between inspections, often the firm will lay down rules, like PAT testing labels on everything, and also training for personal, I remember attending one of these, and the safety officer told us all how labels must be on every electrical appliance, if not it must be unplugged and returned to stores, so I said are you sure, he said yes, so should I start now, yes he says, that was until I started unplugging the computer lead sets as they had no labels in the office we were being taught in. Well only unplugged one, and said with lead in hand, shall I continue.

And this is the point, the computers had clearly been tested with the lead, but the guy testing had only written out one label, some times we need to use some common sense. Some oil spilt on the floor, do you write out a report, or use that paper to simply wipe up the oil.

There are electric panel heaters which come with a plug on a lead. Not saying if it is right or wrong in your building.

Sponsored Links
Yes,I wondered if being (not very well) attached to wall made a difference. I have since found that some local athorities require such heaters in HMOs to have either a dedicated circuit from the CU with a switched,fused and RCDed wall plate or no RCD if spurred from a socket. This is a hostel type of siituation but I would have thought regs. would be similar to HMO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back