Dodgy lead work around "repaired" roof light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just paid £3k to get these 2 (slightly leaking) rooflights repaired. The lead work is meant to have been re-done - but both windows leaked worse after the job than before! Builder returned with glue gun & CT1 sealant and now the leak's sorted - but is this a proper job? Is that what the lead work is meant to look like? Seems I've just paid for a bodge. Could've done the glue-gun job myself! (If I dared go up there)

Attachments

• IMG-20240206-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20240206-WA0009.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG-20240206-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20240206-WA0011.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 97
Sponsored Links
The whole lot looks like a bodge to me (before and after), or some kind of Dickensian theatre prop. We only ever use proprietary roof lights, for this very reason.

I'm of the opinion that, once gravity and the tenacity of water are understood, decent lead or metal-work, should be all that is needed to weather any roof penetration (ooer missus). Anything that is subsequently stuck down or daubed up with silicone because the flashings have failed, is so wrong, in my opinion.

BUT - my roof was built like this, with the rooflights, in 1895.... do you think I should get them removed then, and replaced with modern proprietary ones?

If they are not a listed item then I would have advised you to get it replaced with a modern velux type or equivalent , it would be much warmer! and you would have the ability to open them if desired.

Sponsored Links
Are you saying they're the original 1895 rooflights? Unless they're particularly nice architecturally or are listed then just replace them, you can get conservation rooflights that look similar to those. Otherwise they probably need to be restored properly and by someone who understands conservation not the cowboy you employed.

I've just paid £3k to get these 2 (slightly leaking) rooflights repaired. The lead work is meant to have been re-done - but both windows leaked worse after the job than before! Builder returned with glue gun & CT1 sealant and now the leak's sorted - but is this a proper job? Is that what the lead work is meant to look like? Seems I've just paid for a bodge. Could've done the glue-gun job myself! (If I dared go up there)
did they strip back the tiles when the repairs were done?

the leadwork over the top of the tiles is not the bit that does the weathering -in fact on the sides its not even needed

Im not a roofer so dont know how they leadwork shouldve been done with those tiles, it looks like theres a gutter formed above which should then run around and down the sides -and discharge into a gully. Im not sure whether there should be lead soakers on those tiles or not.

thanks everyone - looks like I just need to save up for new ones then. And 4 storeys of scaffolding. And find a competent roofer to put them in. It'll be like climbing mount everest. Without a Sherpa

I'm not so sure as to exactly which kinds but certainly some rooflights can be installed from the inside, if you particularly want to replicate the conservation look then look up 'conservation rooflights', Velux, The Rooflight Company & Kelite certainly do them, there may be other suppliers, you may have to look at bespoke ones if you want the exact same look. Avoid the non branded types or the dubious home brands available from Wickes or B&Q for example as future spares and repairs is likely to be a problem.

It's not so much that I want the look - I'm in a Whitechapel 'conservation area' so whatever I do has to at least look similar. (Not sure what they're conserving, as our streets are now at the bottom of a pit, surrounded by luxury mega-tower developments but hey)

Can't see any companies stating that the work can be done from inside ... I've emailed a couple of your suggested ones, thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back