Dodgy or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right - straight to the point. I'm rewiring my flat. I've done some wiring before. I was thinking of only rewiring the ring circuits and leaving the lighting circuits that are currently in. Surely the lighting circuits are less dangerous as they carry such small currents. The current wiring is old and not earthed. Will any electrician connect up my new box if the lighting circuits are not earthed? It will be really difficult to rewire the lighting circuits as I do not have access from above and I don't want to damage all my original coving. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Am I being lazy or are my thoughts that the lighting circuit is less critical than the rings justified?

Sponsored Links
The lighting circuit IS just as critical as the skt circuits ... a lot of light fittings these days require an earth.

Doubt if you will get an Electrical firm to replace / connect a new consumer unit as the 16th edition IEE regs would make them liable for any earth fault 'incidents' that may occur.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back