Dodgy Plumber ruined my bathroom - What can I do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey there, (long story...)

Had a plumber in on weekend (saturday) to do a job. The job we advertised was to install a shower. Basically we have a cast iron bath which weighs a tonne and has all sorts of pipes wrapped round it. We asked in the advert for these to be cut out, and all connected back. The bath would need to be fitted closer to the wall as there was a big gap between the wall and the bath. We said this would involve sliding the bath out to do this, and sliding it back in. Channels would need to be cut in the wall for the shower pipes. Then bathroom wall would be tiled. Then bath could be slid back in and shower installed. Several plumbers answered our request, we chose the cheapest. (first lesson learnt)

The plumber who had a tiler mate and he came round to start at 9am. Two hours later, he said taking there were complications and he needed some stuff and sent us out to buy materials. They came to £120. He then spent all day complaining about how he didn't want to take the bath out, and how our walls were "sh*t and wonky" how our plasterers had done everything wrong, how we should have replaced the bath. etc. Anyway 11 hours later he was still there and the job was nowhere near finished.

He came back the next day, At 5pm we told him to go home, as he still hasn't finished tiling, still hasn't installed the shower, and hadn't done anything about the pipes or bath. Worse still the channels he cut ended up taking a chunk out of the wall.He boarded it up with a tile and a piece of wood and tiled over it. He said he'd fix the gap between the bath and wall by, and I quote, "gunking it up."

There is now a mass of said "gunk" (which is coming off anyway.) Then when he tried to screw the wall, the wall crumbled so he stuff it with something called flexi grip and said he'd have to come back the next day. That's when we told him to leave.

After he left, we pulled masking tape he'd put up around the bath off, and all the bath enamel came off with it. THere are several chips and scratched. We'll need to get the bath re-enamelled andwe still have no shower and tiling isn't finished.

Just want to know if there's anything I can do to claim for this, and also claim for the damage he's caused. Although obviously he was paid cash in hand so there's no trail to add to the problem...

Please help...

Sponsored Links
To be honest i have little sympathy. It always stuns me when customers complain about poor workmanship having done a 'cash in hand' job and taken the cheapest quote without getting any references etc and are then suprised the job matches the payment.........

Unless you want a serious fight, lots of time wasted and no guarantee of a result just try writing to him (you do have an address not just his mobile??) asking for your money back. Then go employ someone who knows what their doing.......

Just a few things that worry me.....you removed masking tape he had put around the bath and away came the bath enamel.....hardly his fault, more like a bath past it's prime.

You'll probbly find he chipped the bath and put the masking tape on to er !! mask it

Sponsored Links
Hi there sorry to hear about you're trouble.

Firstly how did you find this cowboy, you said you advertised?

How much cheaper was he?

Did you pay him?

Mostly you get what you pay for but don't forget there are cowboys out there of the highest order who overcharge for their shoddy work.

Its bas****s like these that spoil it for the pro's. :(

what site did you advertise the work you wanted doing? (I could do with a laugh) No self respecting tradesman bids for work online, it's the cowboys and poles who get work this way.

Op, even if there was a case for taking him through the small claims court, you still have to give him the opportunity to complete the job and put things right.

Somehow, I think your best option will be to put the situation down to experience and get a pro in.

The op has gone quiet I think powell30 and gremlin 16 have scared him off.

Harsh words but true.

Why did you pay him before he completed the job? :eek:

The very first tradesman I met told me never to pay before I am happy with the job done except for materials and never to pay more than the agreed price.

I have paid half of the money on the first day of the job, the rest, as agreed with the people doing the job, Bathroom refit, once it is finished and we have done a 'snag' list (if any) and Iam happy with the finished article.

Regarding the comment about online quotes. I (and several friends) have used a site where you can post a job and then read reviews/comments about the tradesmen who send quotes (from others who've used them) before deciding which to accept. I think there are several similar sites. I've been pleasantly surprised by the results.

You've been pleasantly surprised; but this thread is from someone who has been unpleasantly surprised.

Most reputable tradesmen have nothing to do with internet based 'get a quote' sites.

There are all sorts of reasons for this;

- they already have enough work
- they only quote for jobs they have seen
- there is a higher proportion of 'messers' on the internet than on phone based enquiries
- the person obtaining the quotes has to describe the work and this is hopeless
- the person posting the job is encouraged to get 5 responses. This leaves the tradesman with a 1 in 5 chance of securing business. This is not a worthwhile ratio of time to invest.
- there is a good chance that the work is a pipe dream anyway from someone who is just window shopping

Given the pitfalls above it is only the desparate and unqualified who need this type of lead generation. The web sites will continue, most us of in the trade will get on just fine without them.

To answer the question, get 2 local plumbers in to advise you and write off what you have done so far.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back